Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
russalka

Halp! Recommendations for an absolute Newbie

I definitely second 51 and Xiutecuhtli (not sure of spelling) in the GC if you like Amor Amor. My aunt really likes amor amor I associate that with her, and she likes 51. It's a spirited scent :) good luck on your search.

I definitely second 51 and Xiutecuhtli (not sure of spelling) in the GC if you like Amor Amor. My aunt really likes amor amor I associate that with her, and she likes 51. It's a spirited scent :) good luck on your search.

You just reminded me that I wanted to try Xiutecuhtli ... I already tried 51, but it didn't work for me :( There was something strange 'swampy'/'rotten' that came out in combination with my skin :( Oh well ... But thank you!

I've just made my first EVER and pretty huge order from BPAL. I ended up ordering a full 5ml bottle of O because I know I want to have that around and then a sixpack of imps of: Fae, Van Van, Bewitched, Eat Me, Dana O'Shee and La Petite Mort

I also ordered the Relief pack since I've been suffering from headaches, etc.

I'll also be trolling the sale boards to see if some of the other imps I'd like to try become available. I should probably sell off my imp stash too :D

I will read up on your suggestions. Thank you very much! I have tried Dragon's Milk and it's too cherry for me. It smells like cherry candy/cough drops on me. Unfortunately.

All in all, I like more warm/sweet yet airy smells. I can't handle overpowering florals and especially tropicals. There was one smell with Guava, I believe (can't remember the name of the scent) and I just couldn't handle it. It was literally horrible on me. I've also changed my opinion on coconut ... I don't think I like it anymore.

I know I have looooong ways to go before I really learn what notes I like and which one I dislike ... it almost feels like too much at the moment :) I'm putting together a list of 6 imps I want to order from BPAL as I can't find any of them on sale boards.

1. Fae

2. Van Van (I need me some of that positivity, plus I like the reviews)

3. Bewitched

4. Eat Me

5. Dana O'Shee

6. .... remains to be seen (now I'll be researching The Light of Men's Lives, La Petite Mort, La Traviata, Apothecary and Sed Non Satiata - even though the 'floral' in it scares me a little)

Do you think it's a good list? :wub2: :blush:

Fae is AWEsome. I haven't tried Van Van or Bewitched yet, but they sound like good picks. #4 and #5 are too foody for me personally, but it seems like most other people like them. If you don't like how Dragon's Milk smelled like cherry, there's a possibility that Dana O'Shee might do that too (it did for me, anyway). If you're looking for something airy, you might want to consider something like Aeval (sage, tonka, pale musk, sweet pea).

dragons milk fwiw ages really well. That cherry cough drop syrup vibe tends to go away with some age. The culprit would most likely be dragons blood which often reads as cherry. I used to dislike dragons milk but wore it because my now husband liked it and honestly it is very faint on my skin after a wee bit. I have a 7 yr old bottle and a 1 yr old bottle and let me tell you that it only gets more glorious as it ages. The imp I recently got from lab is peeyuckie compared to the old. All this is to say you might want to hold onto that imp for say 6 months and try it again. Or try ignoring the scent for first hour you have it on and sniff again.... that deep dry down is much more indicative of what it will smell like when it is older than the fresh just applied scent.

elka the dragon's blood pusher :eek:

Edited by elka

Another update. I've ordered more imps in the meantime from a fellow forumite from the sale forum. These are the impies: Bruised Violet Compound, The Lion, Sed Non Satiata, Sin and Xiuhtecuhtli

I've also retested Tamora and I LOVE it! :wub2: Really lovely. I can't understand how I could've missed her before because I do believe I've tested her before ... hmm, oh well. I think golden sandalwood really works on me unlike the other kinds of sandalwood (I really don't like overbearing sandalwood scents).

About Dragon's Milk ... too cherry for me. Too overly-sweet candy-like. Plus don't really like cherry overall. If I reach in a bag of candies, cherry is on the last place ... together with banana. So I'm not really into even retesting Dragon's Milk again.

I think someone may have recommended this earlier but I would look at White Rabbit ...

Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

It doesn't work "for me" because I really am not a fan of tea scents or milk scents but, that said, based on what you're looking for, it might work really well. It's surprisingly light and fresh while still having the tea scent, fruitiness and sweetness. It's definitely not an "in your face" scent ...