Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gold Dust Kitten

Samhain: Sabbat Oil

SAMHAIN: SABBAT OIL
Twilight Alchemy Lab’s Samhain Oil contains essential oils, absolutes, and CO2 extracts that are organically-grown and pesticide-free, and many of the oils’ components are first distillations from small farms. This oil includes 10-year old iron-free patchouli oil, steam-distilled North African myrrh, Austrian pine needle essential oil, mugwort, tarragon, rue, Tunisian rosemary, wild crafted steam-distilled bay laurel, clary sage, and wormwood essential oil gathered from leaves and twigs. This oil was charged under tremendously auspicious circumstances during a complete lunar cycle, and was created utilizing the specific astrological aspects that will be active on Samhain 2011.

I am reviewing this oil for the scent only, although I know it's not supposed to be used as perfume.

In the bottle, it's all patchouli and myrrh. A little dab on my skin and the edge of my sleeve reveals a deeper, cola-like fragrance that is very similar to Schwarzer Mond, which is also very heavy on patchouli + opoponax (sweet myrrh). I also smell something a little menthol-like, but I realize that it's rosemary. I can also pick out the pine-which smells like fresh sap, clary sage, and perhaps a bit of the tarragon.

Scent-wise, this is heavy on the patchouli and pine, with myrrh and sage strongly present as well.

I used this oil in a ritual on Samhain, aimed at helping me feel closer to the memory of ancestors that are gone. I anointed small items- a shell collected by my grandmother, a piece of my mother's jewelry, a small rock from the bayshore that my grandfather and our family boated on, stuff like that. I also dressed a candle with the oil and some herbs from my grandmother's kitchen. I sat in the dark with the candle burning and held each item while thinking of the people that each item corresponded to.

The ritual was powerful and the oil was a great addition. It also smells positively incredible...the patchouli in this is to die for :). I know I'm not supposed to pay too much attention to the smell, but this is wonderful :)