Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Initially this is very faint, as others have noted. Wet, I get a touch of the bourbon vanilla and a smoky, grassy scent which I thought was vetiver, but must be the woodmoss. As it dries, it blooms and becomes stronger. I can smell it from arm's length - although I did place a rather large swipe of it on my wrist. It's gorgeous on the drydown - I get the vanilla (which is sweet, but not foody), cognac, and woodmoss lending just the right amount of smokiness to it. Everything is perfectly balanced. There is a bit of natural smelling coconut adding to the sweetness. The coconut is the note I was most worried about, but it is unobtrusive.

After a while the frankincense shows up to create an even more beautiful resinous smoke. I'm not sure if it's the woodmoss, or a combination of it, along with the frank and opium tar, but I get a slight saltiness which reminds me of ambergris. There is a definite creaminess that lies beneath the smoky resins. I don't get any tea, linen, or silk from this, but what I do smell more than makes up for the missing notes. I'm not really a fan of linen notes in general anyway. This lasts for hours on my dry skin, so staying power is impressive. Throw is also good for quite a few hours. This is a gorgeous scent. I think it could be unisex, though it reads more feminine to me because of the sweetness. I think this would be a perfect autumn or winter scent. If this oil were a man, I would want to snuggle with it on a rainy day and read poetry. 

5 out of 5 stars.

In the decant: I smell the bourbon vanilla, waxy coconut, frankincense, and a bit of moss.

Wet: Bourbon vanilla and frankincense are the first notes to emerge, making me think of Hope and Fear Set Free. There are touches of the coconut bark and moss behind these notes. After a bit, the cognac emerges, brightening the scent and making it known that it this is definitely in the Lace family. The woodmoss gains strength over time, as moss notes are wont to do on my skin, and the tea and opium become a little more noticeable with wear, but the vanilla and cognac end up being the main players on me in the end.

Verdict: This is exquisite! I am so glad that I got to try this one. I probably won't try to hunt down a bottle since it is a Lace, but if I ever see one up for sale or swap, I'd pounce! Until then, I'll be hoarding this tester. Thanks to the lovely BPALista that sent this my way! :wub2: 

This bottle sat untouched in my bpal box for a very long time. Pretty much figured it'll be a dead weight since swapping and selling is nearly impossible now from where I am. 

Gotta say, it aged well. Used to be too green and bitter for me, now vanilla aspect is so much more prominent. It's still very gentle, but longevity is great. Wore it to bed, beautiful scent to wake up to.

Edited by Yanagoya