Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
devotchkadebones

Fast food/carnival food-ish scents?

I apologize if this has already been done - I did a search, but couldn't find anything quite the same.

I'm searching for scents that are like junk food. I suppose they would be gourmands/foody scents, but I'm specifically looking for things that aren't necessarily candy-, chocolate-, pastry-, cookie-, or cake-like in nature (e.g. scents like Sugar Skull, Bliss, Midway, Gingerbread Poppet, Eat Me, and so on), but, rather, more like things one would find at a fast food restaurant, or a movie theatre. The Dark Delicacies scent, The Snack Hut, springs to mind, given the description:

Hot popcorn covered in a glowing golden liquid substance, fried things, and artificially flavored cherry frozen carbonated beverages, extra-loaded with high-fructose corn syrup.

Unfortunately, it would seem that Snack Hut is extraordinarily hard to find! Does anyone have any other suggestions? I can understand that scents that combine multiple concepts are rarer, so I would be as thrilled if someone had any ideas for singular related scents, such as a scent that smells like Coca Cola, or popcorn, for example. I would also love anything that mimicked state fair or carnival food type scents, such as fried cookie dough, or something (Violette Market's State Fair release is the kind of thing I'm talking about).

Thanks in advance!

Edited by devotchkadebones

Apologies for the double-post, but just wanted to say - if you feel uncomfortable suggesting a non-BPAL scent (which I am definitely open to!), please go ahead and PM me like another lovely forumite did. Thank you!

I'm not big on foody scents - I like them but often sugary or caramel-y notes end up warping when they hit my skin, and in a bad way. So I don't have tons of suggestions, but Midway immediately comes to mind. It was an LE release with Carnival Noir in 2005, reappeared when that Carnival briefly came back to town in 2006, then was also resurrected for the Lab's anniversary in 2007. It can be hard to find because people love it so much and don't want to part with it - but I do see it pop up on swaps and on eBay on occasion. To me, it smells just like the description - "A bombardment of edible carnival indulgences. Funnel cake, caramel apple, cotton candy, salt water taffy and sugar tart."

There was another blend in the Carnaval Noir series that you might like to try if you can track some down - Shill. It smells like buttered popcorn. I have a feeling that you could layer it with all sorts of foody things to get more of a carnival food effect though. I wonder if Bread-and-Butterfly might be work similarly.

(And just a brief mod note - responders please keep in mind that we do limit this section of the forum to BPAL recommendations only. The Retail Therapy section is for recs of other companies' scents :D Since the OP doesn't mind receiving PMs you can feel free to send her those suggestions via PM as well. Thank you everyone!)

I had previously heard about Midway, but dismissed it offhand for a lack of availability. I might try to find some now, though, and Shill. Midway really does sound amazing, though.

I just found out about Elephantine Collosus - the description certainly sounds like it fits (one of the first reviews in its review thread said that it smelled like 'carny food', which fits perfectly, I think. I'll try to hunt some of that down, too.

I have a Bread-And-Butterfly bottle in the post atm, so I'll give that a try, and see. I'll update this thread when I get it, if anyone else wants to know.

Thank you so much for your reply! I was wondering about the non-BPAL recommendations, so thank you for clarifying.

Creepy is rum and caramel apples - that might be a good one to try =)

I'd imagine so! I have a bottle of Creepy coming my way now thanks to this recommendation.

Also, I was wondering if Candy Corn Coated Candy Apple or Sugar-Slathered Candied Apple would have the same kind of feel?

Candy Corn Coated Candy Apple:

Tart green apples coated in thick gobs of melty granulated white sugar, with butter, bourbon vanilla, and a dash of cinnamon, spattered by candy corn and candy sprinkles.

Sugar-Slathered Candied Apple:

Sugar-slathered candied apple. With a dollop of caramel!

Does anyone know of any differences between the three? They sound quite similar.

I've been hunting down reviews, and have come up with a list of things that may fit into these category. Please note that I haven't actually tried them (yet!), so maybe someone who has can give their opinion?

Sticky Pillowcase:

Smushed candy corn, rock candy dust, marshmallow gunk, strawberry goo, spun blue sugar, globs of salt water taffy, and lint.

Velvet Clown:

Rum-soaked cotton candy, boot-stomped licorice whips and circus peanuts, scorched marshmallows, a dribble of corn whiskey, cigar smoke, and greasepaint.

That screams carnival food to me. The reviews of this seem to vary somewhat.

Velvet Unicorn:

Spun sugar, sparkling rainbow candies, strawberries, merangue, and cherry fluff.

I've heard quite a few comparisons to Midway, so it could be a possibility. In any case, the reviews suggest a cotton candy-ish scent.

Geek.Goth:

Highly caffeinated, profoundly sugared lemon-lime soda.

Geek.Goth seems to be quite difficult to find in bottle form. I would love to hear suggestions of other soda scents.

Feeding the dead smells just like shortbread cookies... with a hint of incense, it's quite lovely.

Plastic Pink Flamingoes smells like cotton candy.

between the three caramel/candy apples -- find Creepy to be the strongest in caramel and weakest in apple. My impresion of the other two is very similar, but thats based on a recent test of Candy Corn coated and an ancient test of Sugar Slathered =)

(eta:) I should mention that Creepy feels very different from the other two still -- the rum/coconut makes it stand out. The apple is still there, but stronger in the other two for me.

Sticky Pillowcase - This one is very much a sticky candy, but mroe intersting than most, due to the linen/lint note under the candy

Geek Goth is all lemon-lime soda to me =)

the others I hadnt tried though....

Edited by CaudaPavonis

Feeding the dead smells just like shortbread cookies... with a hint of incense, it's quite lovely.

Plastic Pink Flamingoes smells like cotton candy.

Hadn't come across Feeding The Dead before, thank you!

I have Plastic Pink Flamingo on my list already, but that makes me want it even more. Are there any other cotton candy-ish scents?

between the three caramel/candy apples -- find Creepy to be the strongest in caramel and weakest in apple. My impresion of the other two is very similar, but thats based on a recent test of Candy Corn coated and an ancient test of Sugar Slathered =)

(eta:) I should mention that Creepy feels very different from the other two still -- the rum/coconut makes it stand out. The apple is still there, but stronger in the other two for me.

Sticky Pillowcase - This one is very much a sticky candy, but mroe intersting than most, due to the linen/lint note under the candy

Geek Goth is all lemon-lime soda to me =)

the others I hadnt tried though....

That's good news for me :] I am not really a person who tends towards apple scents. In particular, I'm not a fan of green apple scents, as I find them a tad bitter. I am very much excited for Creepy, especially given the rum and coconut. I'm weary of the green apple note in Candy Corn Coated Candy Apple (a lot of reviews mentioned that it is much more apple than caramel, which puts me off it), and I cannot for the life of me find a bottle (or imp, for that matter) of Sugar-Slathered Candied Apple, which, given its age and relative rarity, makes sense.

I'm curious about Sticky Pillowcase. What kind of effect does that linen/lint note have on the scent?

I was looking at reviews, and I'm wondering if perhaps Skytyping With Chemtrails is another possibly soda sent. I wouldn't have thought so from its note, but a lot of the reviews for it noted a definite lemonade scent, although probably just as many mentioned a more herbal kind of scent, so YMMV.

Skytyping With Chemtrails:

Incapacitating poofiness: spun sugar, white amber, white musk, citron, and lemongrass masking a sinister, almost chemical undernote of elemi, zdravetz, and ravintsara.

Sorry for the double post. Just posting that I was lucky enough to snag a bottle of the Elephantine Colossus, and, although I haven't skin tested it yet (I am quite sick), it would definitely appear to fit in this category! It reminds me a little of Drink Me + red musk, - pineapple.

I would love to hear suggestions of other soda scents.

There are a couple of Atomic Luau scents you might like to try. As a bonus, they are GC, so are easily available in both imp and bottle form.

Polynesian Pop - Ginger ale, white rum, and a squeeze of orange - reminds me of the sticky remains at the bottom of a can of ginger ale.

Blue Fire - Papaya, blueberry, lemongrass, and gin - this one actually has an effervescent quality. I can smell the bubbles popping, it's weird, but good! It reminds me a carbonated tropical fruit salad.

I personally prefer Blue Fire, as it is a stronger scent on my skin.

There are a couple of Atomic Luau scents you might like to try. As a bonus, they are GC, so are easily available in both imp and bottle form.

Polynesian Pop - Ginger ale, white rum, and a squeeze of orange - reminds me of the sticky remains at the bottom of a can of ginger ale.

Blue Fire - Papaya, blueberry, lemongrass, and gin - this one actually has an effervescent quality. I can smell the bubbles popping, it's weird, but good! It reminds me a carbonated tropical fruit salad.

I personally prefer Blue Fire, as it is a stronger scent on my skin.

Those sound incredible, particularly Blue Fire. Thank you for the recommendations!

Te Po is like a cherry cola.

Oh, wow, really? I shall have to order some! Thank you :]

It maybe a little hard to find now but MVJBA: Spring Training 2008 is peanut brittle caramel popcorn and the scent is totally dead on.

Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener (sassafras, vanilla extract, oak leaf, CO2 butter extract and onycha) from the Pharmacopoeia line smells like root beer.

Just popping in to say that Jack smells exactly like buttered popcorn on me and reminds me a lot carnivals for that reason. It may just be my chemistry, but it is a GC scent so it might be worth a try.