Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
QueenHyena

Recommendations for bellydancers?

I am a bellydancer (tribal fusion style) and I have a recital at the end of November. What do you think would be the perfect scent to wear for a tribal bellydancing performance?

Hmmm...

Well, you can't go wrong with Snake Oil. Not only is it a forum favorite and a seemingly unanimous "safe bet", I think it kind of fits thematically.

Other scents that come to mind, thematically at least, are...

• Bathsheba - "Carnation, sensual plum, and Arabian musk."

• Chimera - "The fiery, volatile scent of cinnamon, thickened by myrrh, honeysuckle, and copal."

• Hetairae - "A seductive and dazzling blend of golden honey, fiery patchouli, sweet fig and clove, and a blushing touch of ylang ylang."

• Inferno - "The Dark Side of Fire: cinnamon, bitter almond, and neroli. Heavily spiced, torrid, and possibly conflagrant."

• Lust - "Red musk, patchouli, ylang ylang and myrrh."

• Masquerade - "A festive, dazzling blend, layered in mystery and intrigue. Patchouli, ambergris, carnation and orange blossom."

• Mata Hari - "A renowned exotic dancer and courtesan, possessed of aristocratic elegance [...] Her scent is striking and bold with a delicate yet dark undertone: five roses with soft jasmine, warmed by vanilla, fig, tonka bean and mahogany, spiced with a drop of coffee bean."

• O - "Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla."

• Queen of Sheba - "Her scent is a bounty of golden honeyed almonds and a whisper of African and Middle Eastern spices."

• Scherezade - "Saffron and Middle Eastern spices swirled through sensual red musk."

I guess it just comes down to if you want a "firey" scent or a more sensual one. Snake Oil aside, I'd probably be more inclined to go for Bathsheba, Mata Hari and Scherezade. Though I pretty much just went down the Ars Amatoria line and plucked these out. Hope this helps!

Thanks, those are all great suggestions! Scherezade especially. I did just order the Snake Oil today, because I love snakes and I love vanilla!

I agree about Ashenrook's suggestions.

As for my own suggestions, I think you might want to explore the female figures in Excolo. I find them to be really powerful scents, and belly dancers always seem so powerful and confident to me. Just a thought!

These are the ones that stood out to me in a quick glance through the list:

Kali (A blend of the sacred blooms of cassia, hibiscus, musk rose, Himalayan wild tulip, lotus and osmanthus swirled with offertory dark chocolate, red wine, tobacco, balsam and honey)

Lilith (Red wine, myrrh, black musk, and attar of rose)

Oya (Oya’s ofrenda is a Nigerian potion of love and war, sweetened by darkest plum. Oya winiwini!)

Persephone (Pomegranate and rose)

Seraglio,

Harlot,

Hetairae,

and Mata Hari

would be my pics.

I know there is a, uh, theme going on there, and I don't mean to imply anything about dancers, I swear.

But all of those scents seem to embody a rich sensuality - and tribal dance is all about that. Just reveling in the beauty of movement and enjoying the elaborate costumes, the color and music, and all of the dancers moving as one entity. It's very sensual. Also, all of the scents listed above imply a kind of power that doesn't sacrifice femininity.

Edited by crimescenecleanup

Hi!

I'm a belly dancer myself (tribal and Egyptian styles mostly), and for recitals or class my favorites have been: Hetairae, Bastet (Luxuriant amber, warm Egyptian musk, fierce saffron and soft myrrh, almond, cardamom and golden lotus), and Snake Oil. I also sometimes just pick a scent that makes me, personally, feel beautiful because that helps me feel more confident. :) Good luck!

Thanks guys, for your recommendations. I ordered Bastet and Snake Oil for now, but I am putting some of the other suggestions on my future purchase list

Ooh.. great choices! I hope Snake Oil works for you - it's one of my faves :smile:

If you enjoy Snake Oil on your skin, try dabbing a bit along your hairline behind your ears so that it rubs into your scalp and hair a bit (where you won't see it, because it will make your hair oily) - it's gorgeous when you move your head/hair around and get wafts of the lovely vanilla spices.

Sign in to follow this