Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
fairnymph

AF24

Sniffed: Rich golden/pale amber oil. Slightly sharp, bright florals. Maybe something a little grassy? Fresh, spring-like sorts of florals, but quite complex - there is one floral note that stands out that I recognise but can't quite place. A little soapy, mostly in a clean way that's rather nice.

Wet: Grassier, soapier. I find this vaguely cologne-y - less overtly feminine than the other AFs. Definitely a mix of herbal/green notes in here - one is slightly minty, I believe hyssop, and then I get something a little spicy, maybe nasturtium? It's also heavier, more floral, so that this is sort of like a white/heavy/classic floral mixed with Garden Path with Chickens. I get a gardenia note, but a once again, a different one from the lower-numbered AFs - each seems to have a unique gardenia note. This is also a little citrusy but in a green way - maybe bergamot?

Dry: This has settled down and integrated quite nicely. The gardenia has amped up a bit, but doesn't overpower the other notes, though it does dominate. Once again I get lily of the valley, orchid and I think now some sort of lily. It's a lot heavier and more floral dry - the green/fresh/spicy notes have faded though I still detect traces of them.

Summary: There's a sweetness here that reminds me of tonka, and a lunar sort of feel - I'm thinking Lune Noir. I also get a little thyme and maybe some honey, so this reminds me more distantly of Honey Moon a bit, too. All the new AFs seem to have a similar base of gardenia/orchid, but this one is definitely the least unpleasant of them, IMO. Sadly, it's still too heavy-handed on the florals. Strong throw and longevity.

I think there's jasmine... and gardenia. And the gardenia is doing evil things on my skin, as gardenia is wont to do. In the end, this ends up to be a heady floral, the type I can't wear.

This one is slightly more palatable than AF25. There doesn't seem to be any ylang ylang of doom in here but the gardenia and orchid(?) make for a heady floral blend. There is a bit of an herbally green base to this that makes it more wearable for me than the AF25, but it goes soapy on me.

Heady, exotic, incensy, sophisticated floral, almost certainly some red musk. Am I getting tea as it dries? Starts oddly good, but dries to heavy floral doom.

I was torn between buying this and the AF 25 off Etsy and I flipped a coin (with the thought that I would eventually by the other as well down the road, and I will). And I am having as hard a time as everyone trying to ID the notes.

IN THE IMP: I just can't ID it at all. But it's somehow candy-ish. Not sweet floral but candy. Not cloying.

Dabbed on wrist and in crook fo arm.

WET: VERY floral. It's the type of floral I think of as "hothouse," the lush gorgeous flowers, and yet it's not that over-the-top cloying sweetness I get from, say, tuberose or even jasmine sometimes. I am sure there are flowers I should be recognizing. I don't think it's gardenia but confess that ran through my mind. Wisteria, perhaps? Frangipani? Not plumeria because that makes me queasy and orchid makes me vomit. This, in fact, is quite delicious. It reminds me a little of New Orleans (the scent and the city). Just sweet/candy flowers.

DRYDOWN: It settles into subtle. The sweetness remains with bits of flowers. At the end of the night, in the crook my arm, dare I say it even smells a little like Chanel or something equally sexy and perfect for someone to be nibbling your arm with more in mind. I also, on the very final drydown, DO get a bit of smoky incense or some light resin. It would not surprise me if there was amber in here. Just a bit.

OVERALL: This is mysterious and maddening and absolutely something I want to wear more and figure it out. And I also want to get 25. I'd love to know what the whole AF line was to start with!!!!!!!!!

On a scale of 1-5, a 4.2