Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wl552

Whirling Wind Moon

Dreams of joy and fear: swirling dark and airy musks, mogra, plumeria, hyacinth, lily of the valley, dry white sandalwood, gardenia, pale amber, and oakmoss.

What starts out as something reminiscent of pineapple Life Savers turns to sandalwood and oakmoss. It's OK but not wonderful.

To the sale pile...

Whirling Wind Moon smells just like I remember one of the other winter moons smelling--Snow Moon, maybe. It's cold and full of ozone. Dries down to soft florals.

In the imp: spicy - sandalwood and ginger at the forefront - with a bare hint of the florals

Wet: floral talcum powder :( It's almost immediately all hyacinth and lily of the valley, though if I sniff hard very close to my wrist, there's traces of ginger and maybe amber

Initial drydown: I still think it's terribly floral, I can't smell anything but the hyacinths, lily and plumeria. There's also a high, warm sweetness to it which I usually get with amber scents (Mouse's Long and Sad Tale does something similar). But my girlfriend insists that all she can smell is sandalwood, so perhaps the throw of the floral elements isn't quite as strong as it seems to me.

End of day: after a good 4 to 5 hours, the floral notes burn off enough that it's mainly a warm, spicy sandalwood. The throw by the end of the day is very faint, but I don't like the floral stages quite enough to want to lather more on for a stronger final scent. Overall, it's a pretty enough scent, but I don't think it's a *me* scent, and it'll probably go onto my swap list.

Stars: ★★★

Edited by alyelle

In the bottle: Floral and aquatics overlaid with ozone. Very much a "wind" feeling.

Wet on my skin: The ozone separates out a bit and registers as more of a pine scent with a minty undertone. The florals are being overwhelmed at this stage.

Drydown: The pine balances back out with the florals and is back to smelling almost exactly like it does in the bottle.

Later on: This scent is probably the stays-truest-over-time that I've tested so far - except for that initial pine burnoff when it's wet, the notes stay almost exactly the same until hours later. It eventually starts to fade with the light musks staying the longest, but it took most of the day to get to that point!

I love the balance between the different notes, and even if I can't define why I still think "windy aquatic floral" as a summary of all these plants, I'm very happy with the results. It has an above-average throw and longevity on me, which is kinda rare. I'm so glad I tried this one!

Given the floral notes I would've thought this would work but it is more of an evergreen/ozoney type scent. It kind of does what goes wrong on me in Kumaru Kandam. There are wintery blends I love more, but it will work well for an atmos spray for sure.