Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
fairnymph

The Fan Dancer

This is, obviously, a review of the prototype. I have no note information, so the following is simply my blind impression.

Pale yellow oil. Fresh, bright, ozoney, a little metallic, and little cologney - definitely some sweet-tart citrus peel (grapefruit or bergamot?), delicate florals of some sort, and maybe some other fruit, something tropical/exotic and zesty? Lovely!

More floral (though still fresh, light, and Spring-like - bulb flowers or blossoms) on my skin, and the ozone is even stronger, too - very zingy and fresh and white in feel. This reminds me a fair deal of Szessapony, but it's more interesting, less generic. This definitely has citrus peel and maybe some pith (it's slightly, pleasantly bitter) - I think it's white grapefruit, but it's much nicer than the note in Baobhan Sith which I find quite sharp - this is softer and sweeter. I think maybe there's a little mandarin in here, too. This is wonderfully clean and fresh, and the 'feel' reminds me a lot of Amsterdam, though this is more fruity and zesty. Daffodils and tulips wouldn't surprise me at all, and I definitely get some peony. Also maybe some cherry blossom?

As it dries it starts to remind me very strongly of something else but I can't place it...oh, oh wait, no, really, could it be - *goes to check* - it's Neo-Tokyo! YES!!!!!!!!!!!! A shockingly similar blend of ozone, delicate feminine florals, and juicy, bright fruits with a superbly sexy yet subtle musky base. Now I think I am getting some mint - it's extremely light, which must be why I missed it before - and I'm nearly 100% positive it's white mint. It mingles beautifully here and makes the blend cool and even more bright and refreshing. As for some other scents that I love that this evokes - add the Dormouse to the list (peony, and maybe there is tea here, too?). Wow, I'm absolutely in love with this!

This is reminding me a bit now of the Spell of Amorous Love, and earlier I suspected a tea note, so I think this has that blend's green tea note (it reminds me a bit of Matcha) which could also be one of the tea notes in the Dormouse, and the other fruit is definitely red currant, the same deliciously tart and juicy note from tSoAL. And...I'm pretty damn sure about the cherry blossom now, too, especially once I realised the N-T similarity. The cherry blossom has amped up quite a bit along with the peony, so this is Asiatic, Springy, pink blossom bliss! I get a very slightly soapy edge...but it's extremely slight, and mostly just adds to this blend's amazing feeling of CLEAN. This has so many refreshing notes, and I think I found yet another - ginger, the juicy bright sort, white Hawaiian I think - that would explain the Baobhin Sith association I got earlier!

The smooth, slightly grassy green tea and zingy-fresh ginger notes really amp in the late drydown, making this scent much stronger and less ephemeral but no less beautiful - but the cherry blossom has amped up even more, as has loads of musk to round things out. This has turned quite musky indeed, in an almost creamy sort of way - earlier I thought it might be vanilla musk, and there could be some of that too, but there's definitely white musk, a rounded sort that isn't too sweet or sharp. I find cherry blossom has an almost musky tone, as well, that could be adding to the MUSK. The musk(s) and cherry blossom only dominate the peony, tea, and ginger by a little bit, and the daffodil has amped up to be on par with these. The sweet-tart, juicy red currant is still here, but faintly - it's faded the most of all the notes, while the grapefruit peel has held really well and is almost candied - there's a sweetness here that I don't get with the typical BPAL white grapefruit note.

Cherry blossom dominates in the end - but not in an overbearing way - it's well balanced by the other beautiful notes, which it doesn't overwhelm, and yet it's definitely still intently cherry blossom focused. It's the ultimate cherry blossom scent - it actually reminds me a lot of the CB perfume that Bath&Body Works released several years ago for their Spring LE line, but of course this is MUCH lovelier and more complex. Totally stunning and absolutely my sort of scent, this has instantly become a top-10 favourite. Fortunately my skin amps it to have great throw after a few hours, and it lasts ages.

:wub2:

Another one I will hoard, and that I would sell my soul, my 9 remaining fingers, all my useful orifices, future unborn children, etc for more than the precious small quantity I have now.

This is dark and perfumey and sour. It’s hard to pin down… dark wood, a mix of perfume and cologne, sour sweat, and dust. As it continues to dry a strong powdery floral resolves out of the mix… the source of what I think of as the “perfumey” smell, no doubt. Heavy, powdery, and dark on me.

Flowers hate me. ;)

Dark cherry blossom, powdery violet, hint of ozone and white grapefruit.

This isn't really at all like Neo-Tokyo to me. More like a darker powdery cherry perfume. Slightly sweet, tart and musky.

ETA: So the Fan Dancer has aged to a dark cherry blossom, violet, and some white musk. Whatever ozone and grapefruit in it has dissipated. So it ends as dark floral with powdery musky overtones. Darkly seductive I'd say. There's something deeply sophisticated and mature about it, actually.

Edited by zankoku_zen

This is one weird morpher.  I have an (obviously) aged sample to test, and I'm getting mainly wintergreen wet on the skin. I'm going to guess one of the published notes will be "lacquered wood floors" because that often reads as wintergreen on my skin -

... which now it does not, even a little. It's now unfolding into something like a grapefruit-tinged skin musk, a powdery white floral, and something that smells REALLY familiar (like a very familiar GC BPAL) that I can't put my finger on - I think maybe Alice? Yep. It's not an Alice dupe, but it has an Alice vibe, if cherry blossom substituted for the carnation note.

Welp!