Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
fairnymph

Caoimhe, the Bearded Lady

This is, obviously, a review of the prototype. I have no note information, so the following is simply my blind impression.

Extremely pale yellow oil. Fresh, light and fruity. Like a virgin white sangria mixed with fresh cream - not that I get grape, but it reminds me of a refreshing summertime fruity drink. I also get a lovely creamy note, and some light florals. Beautiful!

Stronger, brighter, fruitier, creamier - more complexity to the fruit, it's both sweet and tart. There's definitely some white pear in this, and a slightly green spring floral, like crocus - as well as a sharper, brighter floral - maybe magnolia? It would explain the creamy effect. When I first applied this I had a sort of insta-memory of the Horn of Amalthea, I think due to the pear and crocus with the creamy backdrop, This also have a very similar feel - a very well-blended delicate melange of fruits and cream and honey - but white honey, very light and not too sweet, here. I'm pretty positive this has that cos lettuce note from HoA as well - sort of cool and watery and light green and refreshing, and there's definitely some cucumber too. So gorgeous!

Yeah, right now it's pretty much Squirting Cucumber crossed with HoA and both of those are scents I adore. However, it's definitely more floral than both and my skin is amping the flowers, as it does. In this case, they are lovely flowers and I'm thrilled. Definitely some creamy magnolia, and now a little bit of fruity sort of rose (like Marchen's The Rose, or the appley-rose of Rose Red 2005). There's a slightly spicy floral too, like phlox, and I think there's some daisy or a type of light carnation, too. This has also become more green, almost grassy on me, and reminds me of The Host of the Air and the Passionate Shepherd - fresh Spring greenery. I think there's some ivy (a tad bitter, a darker green feel) and heather here. And yet - it's still very creamy, sweet, and fruity. A definite cream note, the same exact one from HoA.

I'm trying to dissect the fruits. White pear, check. But there's another tarter note that's almost berryish - red currant, I think? And I think there is some white grape, the same note from Juliet, which this scent also reminds me of. But on top of that there's something else from the HoA - and I'm betting it's pomegranate. Amazingly the fruit doesn't 'curdle' the cream. I am so picky about cream notes, and this is THE creamiest cream note and one of the creamiest scents I've tested, without being sour or rancid, or too rich and buttery. It's just - perfect - and is the note that ties this blend together. I'm struggling to analyse this blend accurately because it's so complex and so well-blended.

In the later dry stages this reminds me VERY strongly of Kitsune-Tsuki, though the HoA and SQ similarities are still strong too. So I'm betting on some daffodil, with magnolia filling the role of the jasmine in K-T. And this goes QUITE musky on me like K-T so I wouldn't be surprised if there's white musk here, too. Daffodil and crocus have a lot in common to my nose but I do think both are present here. As said, this is a sweet, creamy and complex fruity floral with some bright spring greenery. Pear, white grape, red currant, maybe some plum and pomegranate - bc this is reminding me of Black Heart now, too. True cream and white honey. Definitely some cucumber and cos lettuce and possibly some true greenery - phlox, heather, maybe some grass and ivy - that gives the blend a slightly bitter and distinct green edge, making it all the more unique despite its similarities to other BPAL blends. And, this has good to great throw and longevity!

:wub2:

Amazing, utterly my sort of scent in every way, and something I will hoard when released! Oh, what I would give for more than the wee imp I have.

Okay, I find this to be a very springy floral.

On wet, it is fruitier and I think it is pear. As it dries, it definitely has something more creamy, warm and sugary come out among the florals, either phlox or carnation, but I'm willing to bet on carnation.

Very, very creamy. I get mostly carnation, a touch of berry, pear (on wet mostly). Its sort of foodie in the way that it makes me think of funnel cakes. Very tasty.

I can see why anyone would go crazy for this and hope the released version is very similar... because I think I can totally go for a bottle of this.

Edited by zankoku_zen

At first I thought red musk and amber, and got excited and wore this to bed. Instead it turned perfumey, and I wondered if my nose was broken.

Trying again it seems the broken part was thinking it smelled good. It is definitely perfumey. Smells better in the bottle than on me. This is a heady, dark floral, a sophisticated perfume-scent that probably means florals of some kind. I suppose there could be some amber, and maybe a faint red musk, but I’m amping the florals so it’s hard for me to say what else there might actually be.

It’s not awful, but it’s more of a commercial perfume smell, albeit a dark dramatic one, than what I prefer to wear. As it dries I am getting a little bit of what I think is vanilla; it smells like the vanilla in CC:Female, but it’s elusive. If I sniff too hard I just get the florals.

Mostly this is a dusty amber and glowing, warm, perfumey scent.  It doesn't read floral or fruity or gourmand to me at all.  It reminds me of blends like Morocco and The Girl.  Amber and warm, soft musk in a powdery, dusty, perfumey cloud with a little nondescript spiciness.  Drydown has a hint of dusty, baked earth and clay scent on my skin.  Maybe a hint of sultry jasmine?  I only had enough in my decant to wear this once, alas.