Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
levelek

A scent to connect to your higher self?

I'm amusing myself here because I am not a new agey person, but there you go. I would love some recommendations as per above. I need to find a sixth imp to complete my very first order directly with Bpal that I am soon going to place (finally!). I will also take non-impable recommendations.

The two scents that I have come across so far that seem to fit what I am looking for are Yvaine and The Star, Yvaine not being impable and the Star seems to be discontinued.

I strongly dislike aquatics and also prefer to avoid incensy and smoky scents. Not the greatest fan of amber, either. But please share whatever fits that description for you, even if it's an aquatic amber scent dunked in incense smoke ;)

The rest of my order will consist of:

Boomslang

Detox, TKO (gifts for others)

Imps:

Antikythera Mechanism

Zephyr

Scherezade

High John the Conqueror

Croquet

I'm not sure if its elevating, but my serene scent is Dove's Heart. I never wear it jsut as perfume, its my I-need-serenity scent.

You might consider Tushnamatay or perhaps even Eden (they're more grounding than elevating, yet very serene).

For some elevating scents that connect me personally to my higher self, I really like Yggdrasil. Mag Mell, also. I have a strong affinity to nature, and they remind me of the out-of-doors. So ymmv. Is there any description that really calls to you?

The Coiled Serpent is a good one from the GC -- but don't get it if you don't like patchouli. You might also consider Voodoo or Morocco.

You might want to consider some of the TAL oils; imps aren't available for those, but you can sometimes find them on the swaps/sales forum. Meditation, Peace, Healing, White Light, Anthelion -- all would be good for the purposes you're describing.

You might want to try Aureus from Bewitching Brews. This is the description:

True, perfect golden light, refined into an incomparably glorious scent.

Thank you for all the suggestions! That's why I love this place, such a good way to come across scents I had not considered.

In terms of what appeals to me - I love warm, creamy, spicy but not foody scents in general. To go beyond just calming down and feeling comforted, I expect I'd find what I'm looking for in a different scent category. "Serene" and "Elated" were the closest words I could think of to capture what I'm after.

What I liked in the Yvaine reviews were descriptions along the lines of "effervescent", "a calm lake of repose", "smoothing and cooling magic", "cool and sparkling". It sounded like it also contained just enough warmth so that it nevertheless doesn't feel like a chilly scent.

On the White Light page, the "strong oil for physical, spiritual, psychic / mental and emotional purification", "warm and comforting, positive and balancing" also appeals to me. I am not sure if I should research the TAL oils further before taking the plunge. They seem to come with a "not to be used lightly" warning. I would be comfortable using them with intention within my own belief system, but I am not pagan and I do not do magick so I am a little apprehensive about that.

One to try might be Tzadakim Nistarim: The scent is one of unadulterated spiritual purity, with a taste of the world's eternal pathos, and the joy of suffering with grace: frankincense, olive, spikenard, hyssop and galangal. I got a couple hours of banana runts candy and then a really lovely citrus-y scent, but if you check out the reviews a lot of people seem to find it very special and uplifting.

I'm still fairly new, so I don't have much to suggest beyond that. But I'm glad you asked. Finding a scent like what you're looking for is something I would like to do, too. I've been thinking about places/things/states that already evoke that kind of feeling in me and then try to find a blend with notes that match it. F'rinstance, I don't think I want to smell like aquatics most of the time, but the ocean is a spiritual place for me, so I've been pondering saltwater scents. I'm really curious about the responses you'll get to this question!

One to try might be Tzadakim Nistarim: The scent is one of unadulterated spiritual purity, with a taste of the world's eternal pathos, and the joy of suffering with grace: frankincense, olive, spikenard, hyssop and galangal. I got a couple hours of banana runts candy and then a really lovely citrus-y scent, but if you check out the reviews a lot of people seem to find it very special and uplifting.

I'm still fairly new, so I don't have much to suggest beyond that. But I'm glad you asked. Finding a scent like what you're looking for is something I would like to do, too. I've been thinking about places/things/states that already evoke that kind of feeling in me and then try to find a blend with notes that match it. F'rinstance, I don't think I want to smell like aquatics most of the time, but the ocean is a spiritual place for me, so I've been pondering saltwater scents. I'm really curious about the responses you'll get to this question!

Tzadikim smells like melony bubblegum to me :) But thank you for the suggestion, I am sure it will work for other people!

I know what you mean about branching out to scents that evoke associations, as opposed to containing notes that you normally like. I hope you find what you are looking for, too!

Sudha Segara makes me feel serene, comforted, and uplifted:

Sudha Segara
(Bewitching Brews) - Named after the primordial ocean of milk where Lord Vishnu reclines upon the thousand-headed Naga. Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.

And since you like the descriptions for The Star, maybe try:

Shoggoth
(Picnic in Arkham) - An amorphous, radiant, incandescent scent. Ever changing, protoplasmic and primordial: white amber, green coconut meat, iris, palmarosa, Chinese peony, lime, water lily, snowdrop, muguet, lemongrass, osmanthus, wisteria, glassy musk, and hinoki.

Or possibly:

Black Pearl
(Bewitching Brews) - Coconut, Florentine iris, hazelnut and opalescent white musk.

Envy
(Sin & Salvation) - Green herbs slithering through mint, lime and lavender.

The Mock Turtle's Lessons
(Mad Tea Party) - Not quite Turtle Soup: blurry aquatic notes, with a confusing, contrary splort of iris, ambrette, green apple, vodka, white mint and a squish of lime.

Muse
(Ars Amatoria) - A light, invigorating floral and citrus blend. Tuberose, lotus and jasmine with a hint of lime.

Serpents with Glittering Eyes and Forky Tongues
(Marchen) - Serpentine green herbs, glistening red currant, sparkling yellow lemon rind, green musk, lime, and snakeskin.

Shango
(Excolo) - The Master of Lightning's ofrenda contains red apples, banana, chili pepper, coconut, pineapple, pomegranate and sugar cane.

Whitechapel
(Wanderlust) - White musk, lime, lilac and citron.

I'm not pagan either, but I've worn certain TALs as perfume and they work fine and don't cause anything bizarre to happen in my life. I think you have to use them with intent, in a ritualistic way (e.g. anointing candles), in order to help bring about some type of result. If you have questions about a specific TAL, you could always e-mail Kathy at the Lab (wickedgoddess@blackphoenixalchemylab.com) who is very knowledgeable about them.

The TALs I've worn as perfume, or used to anoint my head or wrists, are: White Light, Healing, Peace, Meditation, LaFlamme, Queen of the Nile, Amor, Anthelion, Nocturne, Charisma. Nocturne and Peace are probably my favorites, because they help me to settle down and relax before bedtime. White Light is beautiful, but I had it on when my mother died so it now has sad associations for me; however I think it could be perfect for you.

I've been thinking about places/things/states that already evoke that kind of feeling in me and then try to find a blend with notes that match it. F'rinstance, I don't think I want to smell like aquatics most of the time, but the ocean is a spiritual place for me, so I've been pondering saltwater scents. I'm really curious about the responses you'll get to this question!

:GoodPost:

From your subject line, I thought of Yvaine and Silence (one of the Salons), neither impable.

As I read through the replies here, though, I think that VitaminA is on the right track -- the uplifting scent will be very personal. Something that connects to a place or a memory or even a symbol. For me, it might be some of the 'churchy' blends like Rose Cross or Blasphemare Reliquary. Something that moves your mind into those paths, rather than a literal active agent. Am I making sense?

At any rate, I'm glad you asked the question, and I think this conversation has changed how I'll be looking at certain scents. Thanks.

tacey

Incantation does it for me. It reminds me of being in church - the only good thing about being in church for me - that whole burning, smoky incense thing. Helps me to focus like nothing else can. Don't know if it would work for anyone else in the same way.

I have quite a collection of TALs and I have to say that just smelling them all together is such a different experience than smelling a bunch of the bpal stuff together. Really, really lovely. Lighter and uplifting - maybe even joy-inviting.

Good luck making that decision!

Just thought of another; it sounds perfect for you. Because it's a Panacea oil, you can't purchase a single imp of this from the Lab, but I'm sure you could find one in the swaps forum; or you could take the plunge and buy the bottle.

Elixir II, Succor: Relaxation, Calm, Finding Center

I am really enjoying this discussion and the recommendations! Thank you. I am looking up the descriptions of all the scents with which I am not familiar.

I emailed Kathy as parrot_suspect suggested. She confirmed that with the exception of the Temple blends, all TAL oils are tools that can be used by any belief system that is comfortable with them (that has a use for such tools). I thought I'd report that here in case this is helpful for others as well.

She also suggested Middle Pillar for this purpose.

I don't really have any scent memories that I am conscious of that would evoke associations along these lines. The church scents would be closest to that, I suppose, but I do not like incense scents on my body (helpful, I know).