Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lixolux

Harvest Moon 2004

The autumnal blooms of clematis, chrysanthemum, narcissus, sunflower, sage and lily twined with Dionysus’ sacred grapes and ivy, a bounty of apple, pumpkin, and ripe berries, and the amaranth and lingum aloes of Janus, all touched by a gentle breath of festival woodsmoke and sweet wine.

In the imp: This is sour and unpleasant to my nose, right off the bat. I think that's the wine, wine doesn't work nice with me.

On the wrist: Not improving...

Drydown: Washed it off. Something in this (the wine note and at least one other) did not want to play nice with me. Swapped.

I definitely get alot of sweetness from this blend - I think it's the wine and the berries, with a 'wooden' base to it. As it dries, part of the sweetness burns off and I get a nice, festive, fall blend. I'm not a huge fall blend person so I think I'll pass this along to someone who might enjoy it more.

Deep amber oil. Complex, but sweet, ripe, autumnal fruits hit first - the apple, grapes/wine and berries. Next I get bit of sage and ivy, a little harsh and sharp but pleasantly so, cutting the heavy fruits. The 'mum and sunflower stand out strongly, and I get faint hints of grain and smoke and woods.

Sweet! Very grapey/winey/berryish especially. More sunflower, more sage and ivy - sharper, greener and drier now, and the wood undertone is stronger too. I'm not really getting any pumpkin, clematis, or lily. The mum is holding nicely, adding a certain smoothness that rounds out this very complex blend.

More woodsmoke, more wood, more nutty-grainy amaranth. It's a warmer, deeper, richer scent now, though still quite herbal with sage and 'mum holding very strongly. I get a bit of bite from narcissus that I dislike, but it's tempered by everything else.

Settles down into softly smoky, slightly fruit-sweet (in a dark, way) woods, grains and herbs with a strong dry sunflower note and a bit of harsh finish upon close sniffing. Fades greatly from initial application, and has only decent throw. Not so great longevity overall, either.

The notes look so good but all I get is buttery corn and flowers. I think the "corn" might actually be the pumpkin, but either way, it wasn't good on my skin. I've since decanted away most of the oil but I keep the bottle around because it makes me laugh. I really thought it was going to be amazing and it turned out to be my first real BPAL fail.