Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
faylie

Something like red earth's Tyrian

I was talking with my husband about how in the last four years I still haven't found a BPAL he likes. I was trying to pick his brains about are there any types of scents he prefers over others, he said he really couldn't say but that he didn't remember disliking the one I used to wear when we first got together 10 years ago which happened to be Tyrian. I really can't remember all that well what it smelled like other than there being a slightly floral vanilla tone, maybe a bit of a soft musk or wood to it.

I've tried the following blends which I can think of that may have been close in smell or feel, none of which he's said anything other than a bit of a meh or an unenthusiastic it's okay response

Antique lace

Mouse's... - I thought this one may have been close but I guess not. Maybe I'll try it again and see

Dorian

O

Alice

Dana O'shee

He doesn't like strong / heady scents at all and doesn't seem that keen on foody ones either. He has on one occasion said he liked Rose red, but then the next time I wore it he didn't, but they were different years. When Dreamland first came out he thought it was okay but the next time I wore it it was a meh one. So he's not entirely consistent, but it could just be mood, me asking too soon after applying so it was too strong or I guess my hormones fluctuating.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Tyrian, but for soft floral/musky vanillas, maybe try:

Black Opal
(Bewitching Brews) - A play of geological darkness and jagged brilliance. Soft and luminescent with flashes of black fire.

Lyonesse
(Wanderlust) - Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss.

Zephyr
(Bewitching Brews) - Lemon, lemon verbena, neroli, white musk, white florals, white sandalwood, China musk, bergamot and a drop of vanilla.

These were all very vanillic on me, but a soft, gentle, non-foody vanilla. I personally found them rather bland and boring as a result, but they might be subtle enough for your husband to appreciate.