Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
alicia_stardust

Thousand Pillar Atmospheric Spray v5

This is very atmospheric. It has almost a magical, otherwordly feel to it. I get the sense of history, age, and vast halls.

It's got a resinous bite to it, like dry frankincense, with maybe something of a soft wood and bitter herb ever so slightly hanging in the background. But on top of that, I get something that's very champaca-like to my nose. It's like the love-child of Midnight Mass and Temple Viper. :lol:

YBNB was kind enough to swap me a squirt's worth of this, and I was really struggling to write a review because even though I'd squirted away almost the entire thing I couldn't really smell much of anything. So I was thinking this one must be kind of faint on the scent or something... I got a little bit of an incensy scent that wasn't lingering like the atmos usually do. I was lucky enough to find one of the full-sized bottles on someone's sales page and bought that literally the day before my squirt showed up. So then when the squirt wasn't working very well I was wondering if buying a bottle had been the wise idea. :eek:

Ok turns out it was. ;) The bottle showed up today and I immediately whooshed a spray of it directly into the ceiling fan in my office [my favorite method of dispersal]. Holy cats this stuff is STRONG! [i think me not smelling it from the squirt was a combination of small quantity released + poor diffusion issue.] Very incensey, and I agree with YBNB's suggestion that this is a khyphi blend, because it has that slightly herby undertone that khyphi has. I do not completely agree with her that this is better than Goblin of Yuletide Yet to Come, because that atmo is totally my crack, but this is a really really close second for me [until I ever get my hands on the Jonathan's atmo, that is ;)] I find Yet to Come more woody/resin incense [to me it smells more like Midnight Mass] while is is very much classic incense, only without actual smoke... I have a couple of Nocturne Alchemy Meditation blends that this smells a lot like. Quite lovely, and I would definitely buy more when I run out if it were available. [Dooo eet!]

This spray is really lovely and smells a bit different in the bottle than it does actually spritzed onto fabric or around a room. My husband isn't a big fan of incense scents, but even he commented on how great this smells! I do get resins and a soft wood, but the overall feel is one of warmth an sophistication. Fancy schmancy!

At first, this reminds me of the Templum Victoriae room spray. I can smell what I think is resinous frankincense and something sweet, dry, and herbal, but this doesn't have Templum's honeyed, beeswax sweetness. It makes me think of dusty marble, resins, incense, and old wooden benches.

After about an hour, I kept thinking that Thousand Pillar smelled a lot like Midnight Mass with a hint of Cathedral. It smells like a sweet, smooth, midnight incense scent, with a little bit of brighter resins and wood added in.

The husband and I both love resin/incense blends, so this is a big hit in my house. I'd get another bottle if it were ever released. :smilenod:

Ok, I think my little sampler from the Trading Post must be completely different than what is being discussed here.

Because all I can really say is, "Ugh!" I squirted it onto my reading chair, and it was very bitter to my nose. Almost astringent. I have to admit at that point, I recoiled. Inhaling it was making my nostrils feel like burning. I went back about half an hour later and it had faded, but it never sweetened or became more than a bitter herbal/musk-y smell.

Not a fan of this one. It has a bitter powder thing going on that just makes me want to blow my nose. I totally agree with Tawaen's "ugh!".

Thankfully I sprayed a bath mat that I could toss in the wash so I didn't end up sneezing every time I walked into the bathroom.

Sampler from the lab. Wow this is gorgeous! Sweet resins and maybe sandalwood. Would definitely like to see this one released.