Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Lovers with Rutting Cats

Vanilla, red ginger, oakmoss, palm date, and oud.

So I applied from my decant the other day and WHOAH was it different from the fresh version! Way back when, it was a soft vanilla with a sharp multipronged poke of oud. After aging, it's still vanilla, but there a slight bitterness & depth from the once terrible oud. The ginger & date give this scent an undefinable middle.

After trying it a second time to determine if I needed a bottle, I figured out why I like it so much. The drydown reminds me of Voodoo, which is one of my favorite scents. A slightly softer, not as complex voodoo. Like it's little brother who wants to emulate his big brother/hero. No bottle needed (maybe a partial? :lol: )

I never tried this when it was fresh, because I was pregnant and nervous about oils, so I only know what it smells like aged.

Lovers with Rutting Cats smells almost effervescent in the bottle, and sweet. On me it is too sweet and I don't like it, and then cigarette smoke shows up and I REALLY REALLY don't like it. It's like Vixen (good) but less complex (meh) with tobacco smoke (no).

I must rush in writing this before I pass out in a haze of sheer content!

Shes an ethereal beauty and she ready to capture your soul for eternity! She will draw you in with her pale and potent exterior and once hooked, she will take you on a journey deep into a luxurious fae spice garden, draped in hidden dimensions and the looming feeling of something around the corner...! She will prance and tip toe along a hidden path, taunting you with fluorescent blossoms and jovial leaves which she scatters on the trail. Then suddenly she gently turns to stare you in the face and beacons you to follow... She has lead the way to a fountain of creamy vanilla milk. Here she taints the flow with scatterings of palm and gentle petals. She flows and she swirls and she completely drowns you in a pool of sheer content.

Rutting cats is mysterious, sophisticated and sensual as well as being subtly sexy. It makes you feel good!

I adore this scent... I have 2 bottles on the way.

A heavy, creamed vanilla (it has an edge of plastic, but isn't quite ruined) with just a slight swirl of sweet red ginger and something more serious and incensey. I like this combination of notes, but the texture is coming off as kind of two-dimensional to me. :huh?:

Edited by Aldercy

I really liked this one. It’s sweet smelling, but not in a way that gave me a headache - must be the yummy vanilla. A keeper :) Once again tried the imp first, then sought out a bottle

In the Vial: Sweet, warm, woodsy, and fruity. And oh, so good! This is very, very sexy. A lot of the reviews say this is an extremely foody blend, but I'm getting more of a woodsy feel than a foody one.

Wet: The vanilla goes powdery right away, and the ginger finally comes out. On the drydown, it gets smokier, woodsier, and the date becomes much more pronounced. This is definitely a red scent - sexy, sophisticated, and mysterious.

Dry: Not much of a change once it's fully dry. Maybe a little sweeter and a little less tart. God, I love how warm and woodsy this is! I'm already on the forums searching for a bottle.

An Hour Later: It has turned completely into that rancid butter smell that so many blends do on me. WHY, GOD, WHY? I put some on the back of my hand as well, to compare, and it's holding up fairly well, but still has a hint of the rancid butter smell.

Overall: I am sick and tired of amazing blends turning into this disgusting smell. I'm going to test this again in a few weeks to see if there's any change.

ETA: Happily, it works just fine when applied to my neck and cleavage, staying that sweet, woodsy, sexy scent. I just have to remember not to let it touch my wrists!

Edited by imaginepageant

In bottle: Unusual. The ginger in this is really different than the usual note and is doing fascinating things with the palm date. The vanilla softens it and the oakmoss gives it edge, but the ginger/date combo is very dominant. Wet: The red ginger really pops on the skin. The palm is less interesting on the skin, and the whole blend goes rather contenelle with my skin chemistry. Heartbreaking. Dry: The oakmoss and ginger have staying power, and the oud comes out rather as the other elements fade. It ends up surprisingly floral and shrill on me. This is likely my skin chemistry not working well with the oud and to a certain extent the red ginger.

Unfortunately I get primarily vanilla (yay!) and something dry and borderline musty (boo). I don't get any foodie or band aid vibes, but that dry backdrop is keeping me from absolutely loving this. I wish I knew what note it was so I can avoid it, but I'm suspecting the red ginger since it did something similar on my skin with Countess Willie. If I hadn't received a full bottle in a swap, I wouldn't have ever bought it, and may just swap away this bottle in the future for something I love and not merely like.

Sadly this does not play well with my skin chemistry. In the bottle it smells nice, as it starts to dry it becomes a cloying sort of fakish vanilla with oud. On full dry down, baby powder and vanilla. Meh. Off to the swaps.