Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lunaheretic

My old favorite, Moon Scents oils Rhiannon's Dream?

Hi everyone! This is my first post and all. I've always been into oils but haven't worn or collected them much, I had a real favorite but the company (Moon Scents) shut down, and I am seeking something similar. I'm not really scent savvy yet, but I looked at the ingredients of this particular oil and it said that it contained Egyptian Musk and Civet (synthetic). I recently bought Debauchery, and while it is quite nice, it doesn't smell much like the one I was after (Rhiannon's Dream.) I suspect RD may have had other "secret scents" but to my untrained nose it seemed to contain something more rich and spicy, maybe patchouli? I've been compiling a list from the BPAL search engine of oils to try, as I recently placed an order and quite enjoyed what I received, and I'm looking to branch out and try others that I may like. The imps were such a lovely surprise, thank you BPAL! Do any of you who like earthy, musky, dark, resiny scents have some recommendations?

So has anyone tried Rhiannon's Dream from Moon Scents and has a suggestion for a smell-alike?

Edited by ivyandpeony
title tweak for search engine purposes

Hi everyone! This is my first post and all. I've always been into oils but haven't worn or collected them much, I had a real favorite but the company (Moon Scents) shut down, and I am seeking something similar. I'm not really scent savvy yet, but I looked at the ingredients of this particular oil and it said that it contained Egyptian Musk and Civet (synthetic). I recently bought Debauchery, and while it is quite nice, it doesn't smell much like the one I was after (Rhiannon's Dream.) I suspect RD may have had other "secret scents" but to my untrained nose it seemed to contain something more rich and spicy, maybe patchouli? I've been compiling a list from the BPAL search engine of oils to try, as I recently placed an order and quite enjoyed what I received, and I'm looking to branch out and try others that I may like. The imps were such a lovely surprise, thank you BPAL! Do any of you who like earthy, musky, dark, resiny scents have some recommendations?

So has anyone tried Rhiannon's Dream from Moon Scents and has a suggestion for a smell-alike?

I haven't tried that but Bastet is a wonderful Egyptian musk, sexy spice and resin blend:

Luxuriant amber, warm Egyptian musk, fierce saffron and soft myrrh, almond, cardamom and golden lotus

It doesn't have civet listed but if you read the reviews, you'll see some mentioning it has a little "eau de sex" to it.

Civet is one of those scents that I think vary pretty wildly from perfumer to perfumer due to the scarcity of real civet (I think it's banned in most industrialized countries but there's probably a thriving black market). As it is, I think that you should maybe expand your search and include other dark musks--definitely look for something animalistic. But for Egyptian musk there's:

Salome: Woodsy musk. Nice almond in this one.

Skuld: I've heard multiple good things about this one. Honeyed musk, basically. May be a bit too sweet for your tastes.

For civet:

Love Me: May not even be civet. Personally, I get lotus, honeysuckle and jasmine with a hint of sandalwood and something very dark and animalistic. I think it's civet, and I even braved putting Satyr back on my skin to compare. May be too sweet for your tastes, but civet's actually pretty rare in the BPAL ouevre. I think Block Buster may also have the civet note.

Satyr: First of all, it's a good representation of BPAL civet. It's civet, patchouli and something else. Very earthy, dark and civet-y.

For general animalistic:

Coyote: No civet listed but it may be a component of the doeskin. Smells palpably alive.

Dragon's Musk: Musk. MUSK! MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSK! If you're doing an imp pack, try this.

Haunted: Amber and black musk. Really dark, heady and dries down to a sweet skin scent.

Iago: Dark and musky. May be darker than you want.

Libertine: Arabian musk. I'm not sure, but to my nose, Egyptian, Arabian and red musks all have a lot of qualities in common. Sort of incense-y and sultry.

Scherezade: Red musk and spices. May not completely replicate, but might be a new addition.

Sed Non Satiata: Admittedly I haven't tried this but the description makes it sound like it will smell like drunk sex. Sex = musk in my mind (don't know why. In fact, wearing black musk is probably going to guarantee I go home alone) and that seems to work for this combo.

I haven't tried Rhiannon's Dream, and I'm not entirely sure what synthetic civet smells like, but I can definitely recommend some delicious earthy, musky, resiny blends.

For Egyptian musk, I must heartily second the recommendation for Bastet (Excolo; luxuriant amber, warm Egyptian musk, fierce saffron and soft myrrh, almond, cardamom and golden lotus). It's one of my favorites, a warm, sensual, spicy-sweet-skin scent. Just make sure you let it dry completely; when it first goes on it's very fruity, almost juicy smelling (I suspect the lotus is the culprit), but when it dries it's musk and amber and sex. :P

If you find Bastet too sweet but would like to try some similar scents, you might like Anubis (Excolo; holy myrrh, storax, balsam, and embalming herbs) and The Lion (Mad Tea Party; a golden, spiced amber, proud, regal and ferocious).

For awesome resins + patchouli, definitely try:

Anne Bonny (Bewitching Brews): Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense.

Sri Lanka (Wanderlust): Indian sandalwood and cedar, and the dry incense smoke of olibanum, gum mastic, patchouli and myrrh.

Luperci (a limited edition Lupercalia blend): raw, down and dirty patchouli, Gurjam balsam, and essence of Sampson Root sweetened with the heightened sexuality of beeswax, virile juniper, oakmoss, ambrette seed over honey and East African musk.

If you find you like BPAL's "red musk" note (I personally do not care for it), you might enjoy:

Scherezade (Bewitching Brews): Saffron and Middle Eastern spices swirled through sensual red musk.

Fenris Wolf (Diabolus): Rosewood, amber, red musk and a dribble of red sandalwood.

Snake Oil (Ars Amatoria): A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

Other resiny/spicy/earthy/musky blends you might like:

Aureus (Bewitching Brews): True, perfect golden light, refined into an incomparably glorious scent.

Baghdad (Wanderlust): Amber, saffron and bergamot with mandarin, nutmeg, Bulgar rose, musk and sandalwood.

Bengal (Wanderlust): Skin musk with honey, peppers, clove, cinnamon bark and ginger.

Clemence (Carnaval Diabolique, Act IV, The Ladies of the Grindhouse): Patchouli, Kashmiri tea, cardamom, black pepper, carnation, and clove.

The Coiled Serpent (Bewitching Brews): A potent yogic oil that stimulates the kundalini, provokes spiritual awakening, and releases the energy seated in your root chakra.

Fascinum (Ars Amatoria): Golden amber, golden musk, litsea cubeba, cedar, and saffron.

Haunted (Ars Moriendi): Soft golden amber darkened with a touch of murky black musk.

Kathmandu (Wanderlust): Saffron, blessed sandalwood, Himalayan cedar and the miraculous lotus of the Buddha with chiuri bark and Nepalese spices.

Omen (Bewitching Brews): Oakmoss, juniper berry, myrrh and patchouli.

Morocco (Wanderlust): Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia.

Voodoo (Bewitching Brews): A deep, powerful, resonant blend of myrrh, patchouli, vetiver, lime, vanilla, pine, almond and clove.

Thank you for the recommendations and descriptions! The Rhiannon's Dream also has a sweet, sort of syrupy or rich scent to it, that isn't floral at all, hard to describe, I'm such a newbie. I'm not sure what that impression could be, but I'm having fun trying new things and discovering what I like and don't like. I bought Bengal as one of my first four bottles, and I love it! It's nice and spicy, and warm. Luperci is in the mail to me right now on a swap, and many that were suggested are on my to try list. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply, and especially for providing details about scents that weren't in the descriptions! I've got bunches more to think about for swaps or in purchasing an imp pack.