Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Josh

Sir Hugh Ockram's Winding Sheet

Rotting linen, white sandalwood, hyssop, and dust.

In the imp and fresh on the skin, this is kind of a clean-yet-musty/musky scent. It's masculine and light.

As it sits, it seems like there's a bit of darkness trying to come through, but it's being trampled out by dryer sheets and soap. This is once-clean laundry that has sat out for a few months and collected a bit of dust.

An interesting concept, but I'm not one for the "clean linen" smell.

In the bottle: smells very clean, kind of washing powder like.

Wet on skin: This smells just like roses, nothing but roses. I am very confused :huh?:

I guess it's the linen note.

Few mins later:It smells just like linen sheets and washing powder. Not as deep as I thought it might be.

Actually, it does smell of old sheets. Old musty sheets with something sweet underneath. Like banana candy or something. It's not what I expected at all, but still quite nice.

Overall, though it's not what I expected, I do like this one. Oddly enough it reminds me a little bit of Whoso List to Hunt, but less floral. I thought it would be alot darker than this, but it's nice either way. It smells clean but old. Interesting mix ;)

I've looked for this darn Carnival scent for the last three years. No joke. So glad I finally got my hands on a decant! I can see why there wouldn't be as much of an audience for this guy, but I'm intrigued by the linen note.

This goes on almost sweetly floral - must be the hyssop. I love most of the blends I've tried with the hyssop note (Gennivre, etc.) and this eventually moves from sinuous floral to something hard to describe...it's like clean sheets that were once imbued with a fresh laundry detergent smell but have now sat in a closet in the dark only to turn up ten years later when you're moving. They're dusty and have the faintest hint of that old detergent and maybe that slightly cold and almost damp(?) feeling that things left in dark closets and garages in the Northwest sometimes get with all our drizzly weather. So yeah. It's hard to describe :lol:

Bottle: Crushed green stems, spring air, fresh laundry, sandalwood incense and a faint, faint hint of mushrooms. Earthy and cheerful and very, very spring-time.

Wet: Earthy sandalwood and mushrooms, then something that smells a LOT like lotus and magnolia and fresh grass. It takes on a slightly powdery, perfumey note from the linen and sandalwood, but it smells like 'fresh' incense with the windows wide open in April. It is super-strong, though-- in fact, it might be so strong as to trigger a headache. We'll see.

Dry: Powdery fresh laundry, mushrooms and fresh mown grass. Unusual, springy, and quite nice, but this is not my usual sort of scent at all. I may hang on to it for warmer weather, or I may pass it on.