Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Mrs.Black

Madame Tracy

A coquettish blend of tea rose, ume blossom, geranium, lily of the valley, violet, and heliotrope.

this is a little like a salon fragrance. it smells like an understated but curvaceous woman at a garden party. she has a glass of delicious, fruity rum punch and is wearing a silk frock in a splashy pattern of plums and reds over soap scrubbed skin and very proper cotton undergarments. i like to think that at the end of the night without anyone noticing, she is going to go home with the stand up bass player of the band/orchestra.

some BPAL fragrances smell like dressing up to me and i particularly like to wear them for everyday. i bought this for spring and the clean undertone to this cheerfully lush floral is going to make it very nice for everyday.

all that said, i feel that this is a very nice evocation of Madame Tracy. she is younger than i thought she was and keeps a fresher smelling household than i was thinking. an appropriate vessel for posession by a misplaced angel. any brussels sprouts cooked in this household will be the tenderest and freshest available that day.

Madame Tracy smells like a sweet-but-slightly-powdery candy rose. There's more to it than rose, but I really can't pick out any other notes, they just all blend together with tea rose at the front. It's a cute, feminine scent.

I was going through my stash for potential swaps/giveaways tonight and found an sniffed but never tested bottle of Madame Tracy. I almost sent it away without trying it, because in the bottle it smells like perfumey floral overload to me, but I had some toothpicks right there so I decided to give it a shot.

On first application, ick, expensive commercial perfume, and I don't mean that it a good way. Too strong, too matronly, too reminiscent of artificial flowers sprayed down with synthetic flower fragrance chemicals. I wanted to go wash it off right away, but the sad truth is that I was too tired to get up, so I sat in front of the computer for a while.

After about 30 minutes I sniffed my arm again . . . WOW, what a difference! The Madame had turned into soft sugared violets and tea roses. Absolutely beautiful. I felt like I was inhaling the scent of real blossoms in the spring sun.

After another hour it took on a slightly soapy quality - not unpleasant at all, actually comforting and lovely, but not quite as lovely as the blossom stage - more like soap that was intended to smell like sugared violets and tea roses instead of the real thing.

I like Madame Tracy, but I'm going to need to try her again before I decide if she's a keeper.

In the decant: The tea rose, violet, and ume blossom stand out to me the most.

Wet: The sweet ume blossom and violet are pretty strong on me, and then the tea rose quickly decides to join them. I get the geranium and the lily in the background.

Dry: The violet is the dominant note on me, sweetened further by the ume blossom. I can smell the tea rose in the background, but it is not as strong as it was before. It’s somewhat reminiscent of Marie, only that one had more of a balance between the rose and the violet. This one is far stronger on the violet.

Verdict: I’m not particularly fond of violet, so Madame Tracy is not for me, but I do think that the scent matches her character. There’s the type of florals you’d see in the Victorian Spiritualism blends accompanied by the sweet violet and ume blossom that show that she’s not who she seems to be.