Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
bpalblogger

Black Opal and other stone, mineral type scents

BPAL's "stone" note smells inorganic to me. Then that begs the question of what "inorganic" smells like. All I know is that it's a cold, hard... er, inorganic... smell. It's also a very specific scent that doesn't resemble any other notes in the BPAL repertoire -- it's not ozone, smoke/vetiver, metallic, dirt/earth, leather, or watery-aquatic. I don't think it smells exactly like wet stone or pavement (though I really can't remember; my scent memory is quite poor), but all BPAL blends that have "stone" in the notes list have this particular smell. So, by deduction, I must be smelling the stone note.

Some stony BPAL blends are: Black Opal, The Isles of Demons, Kumari Kandam, Niflheim, The Phoenix in Summer, Visiting the Temple of Auspicious Fortune. I'm actually quite fascinated by this note, it's quite one-of-a-kind. I'm also amazed by Beth's artistry, how she has created scents that give an impression of stoniness!

Edited by Vega

I haven't tried it myself, but there's Inganok Jewelers from the 2010 Lupers ("Gleaming stone and silver") Based on the reviews, it sounds like this blend is really chemistry-dependent, but many people have reported a stony or mineral-like note.

I just tried Witch-cursed Castle last night (from The Last Unicorn) and oh boy that was definitely stone :lol:

Adding the description: "Weed-strewn oak, opoponax, wet stone, creaking redwood, and desolate olibanum."

Edited by angelamaria

The stone note in 13 Hours is translating to dust on my skin. It smells old, that's for sure. If you guys can do roses, moss, and ivy, 13 Hours might be a good blend. It's not for me, but life happens. XD

I haven't tried it myself, but there's Inganok Jewelers from the 2010 Lupers ("Gleaming stone and silver") Based on the reviews, it sounds like this blend is really chemistry-dependent, but many people have reported a stony or mineral-like note.

I've tried it and I will second this. Inganok Jewelers smells like marble slabs, in a vault, underground--at least on me.

I think 'stone' in a description can range from evocative of an element to downright duplicating what that element smells like.

One of the literary vampires gave the exact impression of cold stone, but didn't really smell like it. I don't remember which one.

Aww, calivianya, I was waffling on that one! now you've made it sound more awesome! :cry2: :lol: