Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Thunder Moon

This is the scent of a summer storm: thick black clouds pass over this full moon, the Goddess roars, and Her Beloved hurls his forked bolts of lightning in the distant sky. Ozone deepened by liquid amber, and a spray of hot nighttime rain mingled with the scent of lightning-struck wood, water-soaked summer blooms, and sun-scorched grass.

First Sniff: Freshness. I love aquatics and this is starting off with a strong ozone smell which I enjoy.

Wet: So far it's all ozone. Pleasant and fresh smelling.

Dry: As it dries down, I'm getting a hint of lemon. Almost like PineSol which is not enjoyable.

My Reaction: It's a light and airy scent. Definitely aquatic which is great! However, once it dried I was still getting a lemony smell which I didn't like. Unfortunately, I didn't smell the amber either.

Rating 1-5: 3

septima_pica very generously gifted me a partial decant of this when I mentioned that I really like Lightning. Thunderstorms are exciting things (particularly since we rarely get them where I live now), and I do kind of miss the distinct smell that comes with them, before, during, and after. I think Lightning gets the smell of the storm itself pretty well, and I'm hoping Thunder Moon will also capture the smell of the interaction of weather and the world that it soaks. I also notice now that this is a June moon, which makes complete absolute sense for the East Coast. Daily thunderstorms!

In the imp: Strong ozone and fresh water.

Wet on skin: Ozone, fresh water, and a bit of wet grass.

Freshly dry: Still mostly ozone and water on wet grass, though there's a sweetness coming out under it that seems like a combination of amber and flowers. At one hour in, I'm getting less actual water and more ozone, with the mixture of grass and flowers and amber still below it.

Five hours later: Now the wood is starting to show up, something decidedly dry against the wet grass and flowers and ozone that are still there fairly prominently. It really hasn't faded hugely much, which is different than most aquatics on me. Must be aided by the wood and amber.

End of the day: Faint sweet wood with a hint of ozone. Still surprisingly present for the amount of time I've been wearing this.

Overall: I wouldn't say this is a dead-on realistic representation of how the world smells after a summer storm, but it's certainly evocative of that atmosphere, in a more artistic sense. I think the amber really does add the heat of summer to it, and the wood and grass provide a grounding that persists after the more weathery notes have faded. I really like this, but not to the level where I need to actively locate more, because I can still get the storm part from Lightning, and that's the most important part of Thunder Moon. I can try layering stuff to get the scenery, I guess!

Oh my gosh, an aquatic that I like, and only a dribble to try. :cry2: Kind of a good news/bad news scenario. This smells so awesome in the imp, like most aquatics do for me, but most change into yuk on my skin. This one however stays true, and I'm thinking maybe it's the amber that's holding the aquatic note in check. My skin (and me too), love amber, so I finally find an aquatic, but a fleeting one.

eta 20 minutes later: Oops, there it goes, the aquatic has turned on me. Blast it anyways, there is the cheap hairspray smell now. So sad.

Edited by milo

Another aquatic that doesn't really smell like water/rain/ocean -- this one goes on like an "ocean breeze"-scented soap, maybe Zest, a bar of soap. The amber does wonders for it, though, 'cause it does settle into something more interesting than soap, soap with a bit of warmth and intrigue underneath. Still, not for me.

In the Bottle: It smells amazing! It's very aquatic (ozone times a hundred), with a clean green aroma (like eucalyptus). A deep inhale brings out a sharp sweetness. Crisp. It's a bit soapy to me, though, much like the smell of bar soap.

Wet: Wow, immediately I get the amber coming out. The ozone has significantly calmed down, though it's very much still present. The lovely amber is rounding out the smell very nicely, though I'm still getting a bit of that "bar soap" association. If the amber comes out a bit more and the ozone takes more of a backseat, this could work out.

Dry-down: Ten minutes later and the amber is on its way in overtaking the ozone. It's got a bit of a floral smell now, weird. I'm definitely still reminded of bar soap, though. Half an hour later, the ozone's still too strong for me. It's really a very crisp scent. It's like if you sliced off a sliver of bar soap and stuck it right under my nose.

Over an hour later and I'm getting that dryer sheets, baked cleanliness smell. This isn't working. After two and a half hours, it's significantly warmed up but it's too little too late.

Final Thoughts: Overall, I spent most of the time smelling like dryer sheets, that same cakey, strong detergent smell. Something didn't react well with the ozone on my skin (I'm suspecting the amber) and it just didn't work out. This was my first aquatic; I hope it's not a premonition of things to come.

I was a little afraid this would end up smelling like the steam rising from wet grass after a rainstorm :eek: but thankfully it was anything but! Thunder Moon is a cool blast of refreshment with no trace of grass or dirt or humidity. The amber adds just the right amount of depth to the ozone without drying it out, and a warm (but not disgustingly muddy or humid) scorched wood scent is evident in the background. Yes, it does remind me a bit of the neighbors' laundry detergent that often wafts on the air, but I love laundry detergent so sue me :lol:

Sniffed: Slightly sweet ozone.

On skin: Humid, wet ozone, and gentle, non-floral sweetness that must be the grasses and woods. Thunder Moon has a hazy, fuzzy quality that is reminiscent of a hot summer storm, and puts me in mind of thick, black thunder clouds looming over infinite prairie. The ozone dies away over time, and the grassy-sweet flavour emerges. The scent occasionally strays into "perfumy" territory, which spoils it somewhat for me. An uncomplicated blend, but lovely in its simplicity.

Verdict: Ozone is one of my favourite notes, and Thunder Moon is an evocative variant containing sweet grasses and woods. But there are better ozone blends out there, and while I'm glad I got to test this, I don't see myself wearing it much.

In the bottle, I smelled a kind of freshness and soap. Wet on skin, it continued to be soaps, but gave off a greener scent-- not plant green, but a high synesthetic green with a blueish hue. As it dried, it retained its greensoap smell, but developed a mellow spiciness.

This was so strong on me that I ended up washing it off after a few hours, on account of the fact that it was starting to make me woozy-- tho' I suppose that could have just been medication withdrawals-- but! Like I said, vurreh, vurreh strong. Will have to remember to apply less next time 'round.

And speaking of synesthesia... for some reason it really bothers me that the bottle is blue and pink, rather than green: "Clearly you're green with a mild brown and blue undertone, you fibber!" I yell at it, which in itself is probably indicative of an entirely different mental condition.