Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
couscous

Sesame?

I doubt very much that one exists, at least in the GC, but today I smelled the most amazing toasted sesame seed smell coming from... an unidentified source. It was definitely a perfume and not a massage oil, because a massage oil couldn't possibly have that much throw- could it?

In any case, it smelled woody and clean and just gorgeous overall, and so I'm curious to see if Beth has ever created a seed-like smell, intentionally or otherwise.

If not, she definitely should- this was dead sexy. :P

I doubt very much that one exists, at least in the GC, but today I smelled the most amazing toasted sesame seed smell coming from... an unidentified source. It was definitely a perfume and not a massage oil, because a massage oil couldn't possibly have that much throw- could it?

In any case, it smelled woody and clean and just gorgeous overall, and so I'm curious to see if Beth has ever created a seed-like smell, intentionally or otherwise.

If not, she definitely should- this was dead sexy. :P

If someone used pure toasted sesame seed oil as a massage oil, it would probably have quite a lot of throw, as it's potent stuff, but that seems kind of unusual.

I haven't smelled any BPAL that was sesame-like, unfortunately, but I've successfully layered toasted sesame oil with BPAL. Midnight Mass I found works particularly well. :-)

I haven't smelled any BPAL that was sesame-like, unfortunately, but I've successfully layered toasted sesame oil with BPAL. Midnight Mass I found works particularly well. :-)

Midnight Mass and Sesame sounds WONDERFUL!!! :P

Toasted sesame oil - the dark brown one - has a much stronger smell (and flavor) than raw sesame oil.

You've completely stumped me on this one, Couscous... if I have tried a BPAL with a hint of sesame, it was subtle enough to escape my nose! :P Then again, the nutty notes in BPAL don't come through as extremely nutty to me. The almond note falls a little more towards cherry to me and the hazelnut note has a little more of an oatmeal smell, if that makes any sense. Toasted sesame is a really nutty smell to me.

(Just in case you don't cook much: Sesame oil is extremely delicate, whether it's toasted or raw, so if you decide to pick some up to try in layering combos, store it in your refrigerator. It can go rancid very quickly otherwise.)

Hmm, like ivyandpeony said, toasted sesame oil has a stronger taste and smell than non-toasted. I doubt it was a massage oil (unless it was a very decadent massage) as it's quite a bit more expensive than other oils. Could it be that you were picking up the roasted-toasted part of the sesame oils scent? In that case, maybe one of the Lab's autumn, smoky, burning-leaves scents would do the trick. Maybe some of the dark, incensy scents as well. I've never tried it, but how about Scarecrow (the scent of a hot wind blowing through desolate, scorched, barren fields)? Maybe something layered with sesame oil?

I cook with sesame oil all the time and nothing that I've tried reminds me of it. It's a pretty distinct scent. If Beth ever made a scent that smelled like sesame oil, though, I would totally buy it. It's yummy!

Bathed and Infused do a scent called Sesame in their asian inspired line. Maybe this is what you smelled?

And I'm adding my vote for a bpal sesame blend. Not sure I would have thought of this unprompted by couscous, but I am now fixated on the idea! :P

Thanks all! I figured I would have run into a "sesalicious" blend by now if one existed. :P I wish I knew which anonymous person in the office smelled so good, or had the balls to ask around so I could figure out what they were wearing. If I smell it again, I'll be sure to find out *shakes fist*

In the meantime, I'm going to look into the massage oil thing- and keep it refrigerated, of course. :D Thanks so much!

Edited by couscous

Neutrogena's body oil is made of sesame, but it's deodorized - so it doesn't smell like sesame. I always buy it unscented, but I think their scented version smells like their Rainbath shower gel.