Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
couscous

Bildungsroman

Although there is no official description on the site, Wikipedia defines a bildungsroman as "a novel which traces the spiritual, moral, psychological, or social development and growth of the main character from (usually) childhood to maturity.” Commonly, and perhaps incorrectly, it is known as a coming-of-age novel.

For that reason- the whole coming-of-age, puberty association- I'd never really considered it when I was looking for an oil to focus on being grateful, on figuring out what was important in life, and making the promise to "do the right thing", as it were. Forest told me that, in broad terms, this oil was meant to support personal growth and would therefore be an excellent choice for me.

She's never wrong. Never!

As it turns out, what I'm going through right now is very much like puberty. I'm 28 years old, right in my Saturn return, and I'm starting to feel the effects and pay for the adult I grew into. Time for major changes. I think many other life stages mimic puberty, as well, and so quite a bit of TAL's customer base would find bildungsroman applicable.

As a scent, Bildungsroman reminds me a bit of Samhain. It's got either pine or fir in it, maybe both, plus a eucalyptus/menthol note, supported by murky woods. It's not a "mothers love" blend in the slightest. Instead, it's a bit harsh and bracing- perfectly evocative of the slight amount of pain that marks real growth.

I'm going to love working with this one.

wow...the scent is incredible...

sassafras for sure...or perhaps wintergreen and lots of green herbalicious

goodness with resinous components...amazingly well blended...

as the reviewer before me stated, this will be one i hope to help me with my

all around self development and self growth with my job :P

As the other reviewers have said, this smells like non-foody Samhain. Or maybe Voo-doo. In any case "bracing" is a good word for it. It's both grounding and bracing.

I'm wearing this, close to my Saturn Return, to remind myself that I'm grownup now, need to take responsibility.

As for the effects, I don't get any kind of immediate emotional reaction that I get from blends like White Light. It's subtle, serious and maybe a little calming. Since wearing it, I've had a few realizations that might have something to do with the scent.

Edit: Recently I've taken to avoiding it since it reminds me of rather depressing thoughts.

Edited by patina

Scent-wise, I find Bildungsroman extremely similar to Milk & Honey, with that same slightly sour underlying note. Bildungsroman is more eucalyptus than lemon, and initially smells sharper than Milk & Honey, but after a few hours, it mellows into a softer scent with a touch of woodsiness.

I got this oil to help me face frozen grief and wounding that dates back to my childhood and that needs to be released if I am to fully step into my own self as an adult. It is a slow and often painful process, but I have a good feeling about Bildungsroman. I wore it today while journaling, and I found it easier than usual to access certain emotions and just sit with them.

I am not sure wearing it is the best way to work with this oil, and I am still figuring out how to best use it. Like patina said above, it has a serious, perhaps even solemn feel to it that seems to call for a more structured ritual.