Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sarah

Storyville

I managed to track down a bottle of this. I ended up buying it because there's no way I'd let that opportunity pass me up. This scent has its place in BPAL history. Naturally, I expected it to be the best fragrance ever(TM)!

Well, was it?!

To be honest, when I first put it on, I was a bit underwhelmed. Yes, it was super nice. It was amazing even. But it wasn't exactly dissimilar to other BPALs in this dark musky/spicy/oriental genre and I breathed a sigh of relief that I was glad I got to try it and enjoyed it more than enough to keep, but it wasn't like I'd go out of my way to seek out and buy some backups if more appeared.

Then some magic happened. This scent is a grower. It didn't take long to kick in. This turned downright phenomenal. It has that boozy musk thing going on from Smut (honestly, aged Smut is what it initially reminded me of!) with vanilla and spices and perhaps some hints of tobacco. It's an incredibly warm, dark yet sweet, boozy musky vanilla. There's something in here that smells like gingerbread a bit to me and I wouldn't be surprised if a similar fragrance was released as part of the Smutoweens as Gingerbread Smut or Gingerbread Spice Smut. That being said, there's a lot more to it than just being a gingerbready, Smutty scent. Upon first application, that was mostly what I got, but it only took a few minutes for the magic to set in.

When it did, this is absolutely lovely. I doubt it will ever leave my list of top BPALs. If I saw another bottle on the market I'd be tempted to buy. Yes, it's THAT good. I still stand by my statement that it's not completely dissimilar to other BPALs in this genre. The notes make it a very different take on it, but I think you can capture the vibe of this with other, more affordable options (and layering). But it will never be quite the same and I will say that Storyville is incredibly complex and my personal favorite take on this genre. It will always have its rightful place in my collection and honestly, if you can spring for a bottle, it's worth it not even for the history of BPAL but for the scent alone.

Edited by Kanra