Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Athena's Owl

okay, you're buying it for her, but she lives where?

I'm wondering if there is anything I need to know about ordering logistics that involve more than one country.

here is the situation: I will crochet for BPAL. Someone took me up on it! She lives in the US, and I live in Canada. She wants me to tell her what BPAL I want, and she will order it for me, and have it shipped to me.

AT THE SAME TIME, she will be ordering for herself for the first time. Is there anything we should know about making sure that the details on this order are clear to the people at the lab? should it more properly be done as two seperate orders? if the purchaser is in the united states, is it possible for her to use the credit card cart to send an order to canada, or does it have to be done through paypal? will the paypal address accept credit card orders?

see how confused I am? I thought I'd share. :P

Since you have a fairly complex ordering situation, you'd probably do best to get the advice of customer service at the Lab, answers@blackphoenixalchemylab.com. That way you'll be getting instructions directly from them and there will be much less probability of confusion.

But just from my point of view - I'd do it as 2 separate orders.

There are instructions and FAQ on placing PayPal orders and CCNow orders in the BPAL FAQ subforum.

I would do it as two separate orders as well. In fact, if you think about it, the only way that this is problematic is if you try to process it as one single order. :P

If you don't mind the short wait for the order to get to her Priority, it seems to me that the simplest solution might be for the whole order to go to her first and to have her ship yours to you herself once it's received. Shipping will be cheaper that way, and the confusion is minimal. I've done it for others and vice versa and it's always worked without a hitch, and it's less for the lab to worry about.

If you don't mind the short wait for the order to get to her Priority, it seems to me that the simplest solution might be for the whole order to go to her first and to have her ship yours to you herself once it's received. Shipping will be cheaper that way, and the confusion is minimal. I've done it for others and vice versa and it's always worked without a hitch, and it's less for the lab to worry about.

True, but there may be a customs hitch to worry about. I am currently trying to get some imps from a Canadian swapper, and she is having a LOT of trouble getting them to me because Canada Post is claiming that they are a "dangerous good". If BPAL is in the business of shipping internationally and already knows how to sidestep this administrative landmine, placing the American and Canadian orders seperately would make a lot of sense.

True, but there may be a customs hitch to worry about. I am currently trying to get some imps from a Canadian swapper, and she is having a LOT of trouble getting them to me because Canada Post is claiming that they are a "dangerous good". If BPAL is in the business of shipping internationally and already knows how to sidestep this administrative landmine, placing the American and Canadian orders seperately would make a lot of sense.

yes. those crazies at Canada Post are loony enough. add in the ban-happy hordes at Canada Customs - where a mere clerk can seize goods at the border at a whim (I mean that literally) and you're navigating a landmine when it comes to mailing goods from private citizens. if I have packages mailed to me from businesses, they go through all right - but packages mailed from private citizens? I have had most of these seized, searched, delayed, and in some cases, refused outright even though there wasn't anything dangerous about them. I've done imp swaps and nearly all of the bpal packages I've had came to me sealed up with the orange tape that proclaims, "this package was inspected by Canada Customs."

yes. those crazies at Canada Post are loony enough. add in the ban-happy hordes at Canada Customs - where a mere clerk can seize goods at the border at a whim (I mean that literally) and you're navigating a landmine when it comes to mailing goods from private citizens. if I have packages mailed to me from businesses, they go through all right - but packages mailed from private citizens? I have had most of these seized, searched, delayed, and in some cases, refused outright even though there wasn't anything dangerous about them. I've done imp swaps and nearly all of the bpal packages I've had came to me sealed up with the orange tape that proclaims, "this package was inspected by Canada Customs."

You gotta wonder how much dangerous contraband they actually catch in these packages. Why don't they just keep drug-sniffing dogs at every post office? Would probably be more efficient in the long run-- just the cost of dog food and poop baggies.

Meanwhile, we can't get our sniffies. *pout*

:P