Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
shelldoo

scent recs for sca event

do you think all the blends would be good for a sca event (we dress medeival) I don't want to mess up my look by having a modern smell so if there are any i should avoid or try can yall let me know?

tintagel jumps to me first off any other ideas

Tintagel would be wonderful - what instantly jumped to mind was Catherine, since it is based upon the formula supposedly worn by Catherine de Medici herself.

Take all this with a grain of salt: I'm remembering most of this from a faulty memory of discussions that took place years ago.

"Most" although probably not all medieval perfume would have been in the form a scented fan or article of clothing or pomander, and I remember hearing that rose would have been, hands down, the most popular scent for a woman, followed by jasmine, rosemary, lavender, orange blossom and violets. Perfumers in the medieval world were probably more sophisticated than most people give credit: consider that the society of the day believed that disease could be spread through bad odors, and prevented through pleasant ones. Perfumery was considered an vital component in the prevention of illness, something that's only now coming back into vogue with aromatheraphy.

Other common components in perfumes would have included sandlewood, clove, nutmeg, myrtle, thyme, deer musk, ambergris, amber, storax, frankensence, myrrh, balsam and amber. Also throw in...oh...probably orris, civet, cinnamon, and herbs like thyme, marjoram and basil.

That's quite a lot to work with. I would expect a medieval blend to be very strong, since its scent-masking qualities would be considered of highest virtue. Catherine does seem to fit that qualification. I imagine the newly released Rose Cross would also be excellent. Hymn, Black Rose, Seraglio, Delight and Venice also sound like they might fit the bill.

And if you hate rose? Medea, Cathedral, Sacred Whore of Babylon, Sophia and Scherezade might also work. I don't remember hearing anything about carnation being used, but in spite of that Masquerade has some great medieval ingredients.

So many of Beth's blends are either based off of Medieval inspiration or use the same sorts of ingredients that I can't imagine it would be too hard for you to find an appropriate scent.

Take all this with a grain of salt: I'm remembering most of this from a faulty memory of discussions that took place years ago.

"Most" although probably not all medieval perfume would have been in the form a scented fan or article of clothing or pomander, and I remember hearing that rose would have been, hands down, the most popular scent for a woman, followed by jasmine, rosemary, lavender, orange blossom and violets. Perfumers in the medieval world were probably more sophisticated than most people give credit: consider that the society of the day believed that disease could be spread through bad odors, and prevented through pleasant ones. Perfumery was considered an vital component in the prevention of illness, something that's only now coming back into vogue with aromatheraphy.

Other common components in perfumes would have included sandlewood, clove, nutmeg, myrtle, thyme, deer musk, ambergris, amber, storax, frankensence, myrrh, balsam and amber. Also throw in...oh...probably orris, civet, cinnamon, and herbs like thyme, marjoram and basil.

That's quite a lot to work with. I would expect a medieval blend to be very strong, since its scent-masking qualities would be considered of highest virtue. Catherine does seem to fit that qualification. I imagine the newly released Rose Cross would also be excellent. Hymn, Black Rose, Seraglio, Delight and Venice also sound like they might fit the bill.

And if you hate rose? Medea, Cathedral, Sacred Whore of Babylon, Sophia and Scherezade might also work. I don't remember hearing anything about carnation being used, but in spite of that Masquerade has some great medieval ingredients.

So many of Beth's blends are either based off of Medieval inspiration or use the same sorts of ingredients that I can't imagine it would be too hard for you to find an appropriate scent.

awesome thanks so much. i am going to add catherine to my wishlist, but i do have alot of rose scents and have rose cross on order *whoot* and violets ie sybaris are a favorite also so i am set

Indeed, I would agree. I would go far as to say you have a lot of wiggle room to not only pick out a scent that is historically in line with your desired effect, but fits the personality of the personna you have created.

One more comment: the big advantage of Catherine has got to be bragging rights. "What's that perfume you're rearing?" "Oh, it's an old recipe used by Catherine di Medici...."

:P

You'll be the envy of the Court!

old sybaris is my #2 fav and is currently battling tintagel for one :P

yes i like bragging rights so i placed dear catherine on my wishlist hoping i find her soon

Sign in to follow this