Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Macha

Orunla

There's no description for this voodoo oil and I know next to nothing about the Orishas, so I did some looking around on the internet.

Orunla (also called Orumila) is the symbol of wisdom. He aids in curing mental illnesses. It was Orunla who originally possessed the gift of dance but gladly traded it to Chango in exchange for the gift of divination. Orunla is the Orisha of wisdom and divination. He was the only Orisha allowed to witness the creation of the universe by Orunla and bears witness to our destinies in the making as well. This is the source of his title of Eleri Ipin or "Witness to Destiny in its Creation". Orunla is the patron of all animals, he also protects ecologists and merchants.

And in on-line shops that sell Orisha-themed oils, Orunla oils are sold to engender clairvoyant or prophetic dreams. This review is purely based Orunla's properties as a perfume oil.

In the Bottle: Spearmint, with some herbiness floating in the background I can't identify. Smells strong, even medicinal. Lavender? Maybe lavender. This is fairly intimidating, and it's quite difficult to pick up the notes.

Wet, on skin: Well then. It certainly doesn't stop being spearmint once it hits my skin. If there is lavender there, it's hiding. This is strong, and not particularly pleasant. It reminds me of that moment when chewing spearmint gum when it goes from sweet to old and bitter. I don't really want to sniff my wrist. It's not invigorating so much as shocking.

Dry, on skin: During the day I'm sitting here, and I occassionally catch these delicious whiffs of mint and melon that are just beautiful. I realize it's from the perfume. It has quite a bit of throw, but none of the bitterness is making the distance. SO strange. This perfume smells wonderful -- as long as you don't get too close. My wrists still smell like used, old wrigleys, but the air around me smells fantastic.

Conclusion: I don't really know what to think of this one. It has good staying power, good throw, and really does smell nice, but I miss not being able to take deep sniffs of my wrists. I suppose its appropriate that a scent dedicated to a god of prophecy be something that finds you, rather than the other way around. This certainly does set its own terms, that's for certain. I'm quite tempted to try it before going to bed, and see what happens.

Edited by Macha

In the vial: Orunla smells like deep mint. Underneath, I think I can smell patchouli and anise.

On my skin: Orunla is a blend of patchouli and anise. It ate the mint and continues to gain strength. Let me add here that patchouli and anise are the two notes that I hate most of all. The scent was very unpleasant for me at this point.

Drydown: Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, Orunla changes to the scent of burning plastic. I had to wash it off as best I could and mute it out with another scent.

This scent had a lot of throw and the potential to last a long time. It was very strong.

If you love patchouli and anise, you would probably love Orunla. If you don't enjoy those notes then steer clear.

I completely agree with Macha about not wanting to smell my wrist too closely - this is definitely an odd little oil.

Out of the bottle, this was all minty-freshness (which I like). On my skin, the spearmint is still the most noticeable ingredient - but there's something warm and kind of... animally (which does fit in with Orunla being the patron of animals, I suppose). Musks are usually not animally on me. Civet is usually far worse than "animally" on me... so what is this? Perplexing... maybe it actually is a darker musk, and I'm having a hard time recognizing it, as I don't believe I've smelled musk in combination with mint.

Sniffing from a few inches away, this is quite nice. Refreshing and minty-herbal, but with something odd and warm in the background.

for me, this oil definitely has an odd power. smell-wise, i get the mint, with something warm and sweet underneath that i can't identify for sure, but i keep thinking "coconut". i get a "male" feeling from this - is "orunla" male? i feel his presence with this oil...the oil "found me", rather than the other way around, as i had never heard of it before, but "took to it" while at the BB. as far as "magical" use...for me, it has the effect of making me search inward...looking inside myself for truths, relating to my "path". not to get all heavy or weird, but that's what it represents to me when i wear it. when i read the information above about "curing mental illness" and "divination" etc., i thought this was pretty interesting. i'll use it to try to get clarity on some things i've been confused about.