Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
ipb

White Cedarwood

very dry, like it could suck the water right out of you and still be thirsty. it smells nothing like you'd think cedar would (probably because most cedar that you think of is red, and this is white).

i really don't like it, in shroud OR alone.

Bottle (Imp): Okay, are you sitting down? I have some news for you. This smells like cedar!

Just On: Oh yeah, this is cedar all right.

An hour or two later: Cedar.

Around 6 hours: Okay, this still smells like cedar. Are you shocked?

12 hours: Faint cedar.

Overall: I like it well enough, but it's not among my very favorites.

After reading other reviews, er review: It smells like cedar. How much more can I really say about it?

Cedar--sharp, crisp, clear, and clean. This is Cedar in a business suit--more like sniffing a tree than a pile of woodchips.

Penance, you know you wannit :P :D

Origin:

Imp from Joseybird.

Preconceived notions:

I passed on a bottle of White Cedarwood and got Redwood instead (which I adore) when the single notes were being discontinued, so I’m hoping I don’t love this more than Redwood or else I’ll be kicking myself.

Impressions:

Mmm, this smells wonderful! It’s note rotted smelling (sorry, there’s just no better word for it) the way a lot of cedar oils seem to smell. Very dry and simple. Honestly, it smells like hamster bedding (yes, laugh all you want, darklorelei, it’s true), but that’s a good thing in my book. :P

The verdict:

I think I made the right decision in getting Redwood because this is a little less wearable as a single note - cedar seems to remind everyone I know of hamster bedding - not because I like it better, necessarily, but because I rarely wear scents that really don’t go over well with the people I care about.

I was interested in trying White Cedarwood because some reviews described it as dry woodchips and then others as an actual tree. I get more of the dried woodchip version of this on my skin. Thankfully, white cedarwood doesn't go as awful or funky smelling on me as most cedar notes, but it's an incredibly dry woods scent. Almost so dry that it smells crisp and brittle to me. Like dry wood that's about ready to break...

This has potential to be nice when layered with other scents (nicely added to foresty blends or florals), but I don't think that I could wear it on its own.