Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jenjin

The Poinsettia Gown 2023

A perfume simply inspired by a vintage Christmas postcard. Rose cream, jasmine cream, mallow, vanilla foam, and sweet amber.

Edited by Jenjin

Corsets creaked, silk rustled, and whispers slithered like vipers amongst the polished marble. The world of debutantes held secrets far more intoxicating than forbidden schnapps and stolen waltzes. But the elusive beauty in the poinsettia gown floated through the crowd of cutthroat Victorian debutantes untouched by their vicious mutterings, aloft on a coquettish cloud of pillowy, powdery whipped cream floral divinity. “She smells like a beautiful vintage Barbie doll Christmas card,” a blonde in pink taffeta giggled tipsily. Her dark-haired twin in canary crinoline elbowed her and whispered nastily, “Well, that’s an anachronism, dumbass.” The girl in the poinsettia gown shyly glanced their way before gracefully pirouetting from the room, and the sisters blushed all the way up to their hair ribbons.

This is an extremely beautiful, gloriously elegant, hyper-feminine perfume. It smells like a true perfumer's parfum, but with that special little BPAL something in the background. It's gorgeous, it is beautiful, and smells delicate-- very creamy, and softly floral all over. However, the rose is very breathy, and very subdued, not harsh or cloying at all. This isn't an old school "grandma" type of floral, or a screaming white floral (the jasmine behaves); it's young and sweet if anything. But it is also just exceedingly beautiful and elegant in general. 

I do get heaping tons of gossamer vanilla from this, in cottony billows (as opposed to the foody vanilla, or the dark bourbon/woody type), a light crystalline amber, and the two florals in the background. The mallow I'm not sure I'm getting unless it is contributing to the overwhelming creaminess of this blend.  Straight out of the bottle I'm almost reminded of the likes of Katrina Van Tassle in this one, but it's definitely not a white rose but a deep and super lush red rose in the rose element. This smells "juicier" somehow.

Unfortunately on me it very sadly does that thing that often bpal amber does (mainly when combined with cream and/or musk notes), and goes to baby powder on me, on the drydown. At least it is a skin-musk type of baby powder with some super powdery vanilla left over. It does make it smell fabric-like in a sense. Not sure if I will keep it for a decade or so and see if the baby powder thing mellows out. But with such a delicate and soft blend I worry about the baby powder drydown going full plastic too, sigh. I love this so much in the first hour/half hour of application. It almost makes me think of a late winter wedding scent, full of romance and soft, creamy sensuality. 

In the bottle this smells strongly of Jasmine, and when applied to my skin I also find this to be more jasmine forward, with the rose as background note. The jasmine isn't high pitched and is toned down by the cream and vanilla. After about an hour or so into I can smell more of the vanilla and amber peaking out behind the jasmine. I find it prettiest after some wear time, when the jasmine has settled. This is a really vintage scent, it reminds me alot of the vintage perfumes my great Aunt used to wear when I was a kid.