Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
comebackqueen

New recs for men's scents

Any new recommendations for men's scents? After I got my last big order my boyfriend went to Ulta and starting experimenting with colognes, so it seems like he's interested and hinting that he wants some BPAL too.

There's quite a few threads on this over in Recommendations, some of which are fairly new. I'm a guy, but I'm not sure I'm great at answering this question because I'm very much lost on the idea of scents being gendered.

Couple of questions to help narrow down what might be a good fit for your boyfriend:

- What genres of scent has he liked in more mainstream colognes?

- What are some scents he seems to like in daily life?

The impression that I get is that a lot of "classically masculine scents" fall into aquatic, resinous, woody, and more musky/less sweet ranges. But again, I'm not sure that I know what someone means when they say something smells masculine or feminine (there are many scents that both my sister and I love and wear).

If he likes aquatics, might be worth checking out some of the Picnic in Arkham aquatics, and honestly that collection in general for some scents that at least probably won't intimidate someone who does care about the idea of masculinity in scents. They're GC, so easy to get as imps. My favorite Picnic in Arkham scents that might be worth a look (there are others in the collection that might suit but aren't for me, and others I like but seem like they might not suit here):

- Cthulhu 

- Y'ha-nthlei 

- Ry'leh 

- Nyarlathotep 

- Azathoth (not aquatic, but I think maybe people read this one masculine)

Also, check out the Beard Oils section for scent profile ideas! Those in general are going to read more masculine probably, and could give you an idea of notes to look for. A lot of them also come as GCs that you could get as imps (there are a few GCs that come as beard oils that don't show up there like Cthulhu,  where you can find the Beard Oil listing in the main listing drop down). 

https://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/product-category/body-beauty/beard-oil/ 

Edited by ShadowEtienne

58 minutes ago, ShadowEtienne said:

There's quite a few threads on this over in Recommendations, some of which are fairly new. I'm a guy, but I'm not sure I'm great at answering this question because I'm very much lost on the idea of scents being gendered.

Couple of questions to help narrow down what might be a good fit for your boyfriend:

- What genres of scent has he liked in more mainstream colognes?

- What are some scents he seems to like in daily life?

The impression that I get is that a lot of "classically masculine scents" fall into aquatic, resinous, woody, and more musky/less sweet ranges. But again, I'm not sure that I know what someone means when they say something smells masculine or feminine (there are many scents that both my sister and I love and wear).

If he likes aquatics, might be worth checking out some of the Picnic in Arkham aquatics, and honestly that collection in general for some scents that at least probably won't intimidate someone who does care about the idea of masculinity in scents. They're GC, so easy to get as imps. My favorite Picnic in Arkham scents that might be worth a look (there are others in the collection that might suit but aren't for me, and others I like but seem like they might not suit here):

- Cthulhu 

- Y'ha-nthlei 

- Ry'leh 

- Nyarlathotep 

- Azathoth (not aquatic, but I think maybe people read this one masculine)

Also, check out the Beard Oils section for scent profile ideas! Those in general are going to read more masculine probably, and could give you an idea of notes to look for. A lot of them also come as GCs that you could get as imps (there are a few GCs that come as beard oils that don't show up there like Cthulhu,  where you can find the Beard Oil listing in the main listing drop down). 

https://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/product-category/body-beauty/beard-oil/ 

Those we're really good suggestions about Arkham and the beard oil scents. From those I think Aziraphale and The Antikythera Mechanism would be options, and Azathoth. As far as what general scent notes he likes we're really not sure! The cologne he liked best at Ulta was one of those that adapts to your own skin chemistry. It has these notes:

Key Notes

Top - anjou pear, orange zest essential oil

Middle - jasmine petals, pink sugar

Base - cashmere woods, skin musks, ambroxan, cedarwood

Thank you for your help!

57 minutes ago, comebackqueen said:

Key Notes

Top - anjou pear, orange zest essential oil

Middle - jasmine petals, pink sugar

Base - cashmere woods, skin musks, ambroxan, cedarwood

With those notes as something that he likes, I do suspect that Azathoth would have potential to be a good fit! There's some overlap tangerine & orange zest (bright citrus) and both have cedarwood. 

Doing a bit of research, it looks like Ambroxan is a compound used to give ambergris as a note. Obviously, BPAL doesn't do top/middle/base notes, but I've found that ambergris tends to be a sort of aquatic creamy resinous note that other things build nicely on. 

A few other GC scents that seem like they'd be in the same genre as the scent you know he likes:

- Vicomte de Valmont (Ars Amatoria) if he likes mint

- A Countenance Foreboding Evil (Diabolus)

- Caterpillar (Mad Tea Party)

I hope you are able to find some scents he really likes!