Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Dead Leaves, Paper & Smoke

This one has a spectral and musty quality, like shed snake skins and brittle, broken bird's nests, but also oddly evokes spring leaves, damp and dewy and almost jittery green, teeming with chlorophyll. It culminates in a fragrance that you might attribute to an altar deep kept in the wood, obeisance to a thing so old it doesn't even have a name, with offerings of shoots and stems, bones and claws, trinkets both living and dead.

Weirdly I don't smell a lot of dead leaves in this dead leaves scent (but I know that's how it goes sometimes), I'm getting the slightly bitter light smoke note that I recognize from some other bpal smokey scents, a little bit leafy perhaps, with a kind of old paper note in the background.  Also weirdly I get some flashes of bright lemon here and there.  After some time the smoke fades and I think the paper comes out stronger, at least I think I recognize it from Bookcase Passage.  If you love the paper aspect if that, you might do really well with this.

Overall it's less burn-y than Burning Book single note or even Dead Leaves On Fire, it's a little more comfy-cozy to me but still spooky and atmospheric like the reviewer above mentioned.  I like it through all stages and I enjoy how it dries down, not sure if I need to upgrade my decant to a bottle but I'll be thinking about it.