Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Stuffforkeeps

Halp! Anything similar to Na Nin’s mujer fuerte?

Hi friends!! I’ve been creeping on bpal since 2010, but have always gotten too overwhelmed to actually make a decision and order anything. 

Is anyone out here familiar with Na Nin’s Mujer Fuerte oil? It’s a palo santo/sandalwood scent with very gentle white musk on the dry down, and what I love most about it is that it’s not the least bit sweet (my nose + body chemistry can’t handle sweet) and not too smoky/resiny, which can happen w palo santo. It’s been my signature scent for years, but recently it’s started to turn very sharp on me - especially for the first hour. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance, I appreciate y’all so much!

Edited by Stuffforkeeps

I know it's been a bit since you posted this, but you might find one of the somewhat recent Lunacies that is still live interesting based on the notes described: Death Moon (Eternity: Oman frankincense, white sandalwood, palo santo, white copal, cypress leaf, angelica root, helichrysum, and Bulgarian rose absolute.)

It looks like there aren't a lot of BPAL scents with palo santo right now, though sandalwood is common as a note. Looking through notes of things that are available as imps, these are a few that seem like they could be of interest (I've not tried most of these but they might be a place to start). I'd also consider looking at the imp packs that are available on the site and seeing if any of them have the right sort of theme in terms of notes.

• Half-Elf (RPG) - White sandalwood, beeswax, white tea leaf, oud, and a hint of sophisticated urban musk.

• Seraphim (Sin and Salvation) - calla lily, wisteria, white sandalwood, Damascus rose and frankincense. [This is not sweet at all on me and I love it, but I don't know how you feel about florals]

• Brown Jenkin (A Picnic in Arkham) - dusty white sandalwood and orris root, dry coconut husk, creeping musk, and the residue of ceremonial incense.

• The White Rider (Marchen) - White leather and sandalwood.

• Ode on Melancholy (Bewitching Brews) - Lavender and wisteria, heart-wrenching pale rose, desolate white sandalwood and thin, tear-streaked white musk.

• Rakshasa (Bewitching Brews) - Sandalwood with rose and patchouli.

• The Harlot's House (Bewitching Brews) - angel's trumpet, violet, white sandalwood, oude, copaiba balsam, angelica, white tea, olibanum, and oakmoss

• Yggdrasil (Bewitching Brews) - The World Ash. Nine woods, nine leaves, and three herbs each for Ratatosk and Vidofnir, with three final herbs to placate Nidhogg. [This one is a bit of a shot in the dark, but it might suit based one what you seem to like about the scent you've described]

• Ave Maria Gratia Plena (Ars Amatoria) - Rosewood with Sicilian lemon peel, red Mysore sandalwood, pale musks, sweet mountain sage and a dusting of lily, night-blooming jasmine and orris.

Good luck with exploring and sniffing things! I hope that you are able to find a scent that plays nice with your skin and nose.

Two BPAL scents I've tried with palo santo/sandalwood both have lavender, but I don't find them sweet or sharp. They're both out of stock but may be available secondhand:

A Look of Peace: white sandalwood, palo santo, rosewood, and lavender (Halloween 2019)

Soft Reboot: copal, white sandalwood, sage, frankincense, elemi, lavender, palo santo, salt, and nutmeg. (December 2020 Lunancy)