Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
puck_nc

Nuclear Winter Nail Polish

Plutonium-silver iridescent chunky glitter.

Origin: Straight from the Post

Initial Thoughts: I loved Pumpkin Spice Everything from the Weenies with its explosion of glitter. I have bought other silvery glitter-laden polishes on a regular basis. This was a no-brainer.

In the bottle: Colorful Christmas lights against the ice and snow.

One coat: A more glittery effect than the Crimson Peak Socialite but it has that nice layer of sparkle over one's nail.

Two coats: Full coverage and glitter everywhere! It is a very rough surface - I recommend a top coat to smooth it over.

35533_900.jpg

Verdict: Definitely buying more of this before Yules go away.

i picked this up at the most recent DSLE.

i don't know if this was reformulated at some point, or if there are just substantial batch differences? the bottle i bought, and did a test coat of, is silver holo glitter in a clear base. one coat was substantial glitter, but still very much shows the base colour i had on.

(side note - the BPTP polishes play nice over Essie ones. some brands don't mix and will bubble/crinkle/do other bad things but these two work well!)

there were two other bottles of Nuclear Winter on-hand that night, and they were different and were nearly full-coverage with one coat. a more pewter-y silver, and looked to have both regular silver/pewter coloured glitter as well as the holographic kind.

now please don't judge - i've never tried to take one of those holding-a-bottle-of-nail-polish photos before, and it is the middle of the night (*not on the open road, though) in a room with lighting not good for pictures. and the base of this manicure is a week old now, and we've been doing yardwork so my hands are a bit mangled. i did a quickie touchup on the grown out part. i don't normally look this closely at my nails :(

the glitter, Nuclear Winter, top coat was applied haphazardly while standing and talking last Friday night (*do it all again). the dink on my ring finger nail was me testing to see if it was dry too soon. and the very tip of my pinkie finger has one coat of the other version of Nuclear Winter, which looks more like puck_nc's swatch.

SAM_1087_zpsh4nnjiun.jpg

the base is three thin coats of "Demure Vixen" from Essie. (not my blog, but her swatches show the actual colour really well!)

i will say this is very, very similar to China Glaze's Fairy dust, which i love, so that's probably why i like this so much :)

(i also have Shine on Crazy Diamond from Orly, which takes about three coats to look like one coat of this or Fairy Dust)

(i love my holo glitter topcoats, can you tell?)