There was a time when meadow, grove, and stream,

The earth, and every common sight,

To me did seem

Apparelled in celestial light,

The glory and the freshness of a dream.

It is not now as it hath been of yore;-

Turn wheresoe'er I may,

By night or day.

The things which I have seen I now can see no more.

The Rainbow comes and goes,

And lovely is the Rose,

The Moon doth with delight

Look round her when the heavens are bare,

Waters on a starry night

Are beautiful and fair;

The sunshine is a glorious birth;

But yet I know, where'er I go,

That there hath past away a glory from the earth.

White musk, French vanilla, ambrette seed, frankgipani, angelica root, white rose, orris, and honeysuckle.

joyful-example.gif

Joyful Moon artwork by Manda Lander.

Also new this month is a scent introduced at San Diego Comic Con:

LIBERTY

Liberty was created for the CBLDF, inspired by Eugène Delacroix's Liberty Leading the People: frankincense, beeswax, olive blossom, chamomile, sampaguita, magnolia, apple blossom, gunpowder, and smoke.

This is a charitable, not-for-profit venture: proceeds from every single bottle of Liberty go to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, which works to preserve and protect the First Amendment rights of the comics community.

A few stray honeys have found their way into Rappaccini's Apiary:

Laurel Honey

Horse Chestnut Honey

Daphne Honey

Tobacco Honey

Black Hellebore Honey

And the Elfin Hill has come to stay.

++ MARCHEN

MOONSHINE AND MIST

The elfin maidens were already dancing on the elf hill, and they danced in shawls woven from moonshine and mist, which looked very pretty to those who like such things.

Ethereal, otherworldly, delicate: ambergris, white musk, water violet, ylang ylang, magnolia, and white sandalwood.

We must have all the old demons of the first class, with tails, and the hobgoblins and imps; and then I think we ought not to leave out the death-horse, or the grave-pig, or even the church dwarf, although they do belong to the clergy, and are not reckoned among our people; but that is merely their office, they are nearly related to us, and visit us very frequently.

OLD DEMONS OF THE FIRST CLASS

Siberian musk, black clove, opoponax, tonka, black pepper, and neroli.

THE DEATH-HORSE

Lily of the Valley and opopponax.

THE GRAVE-PIG

Fig, oakmoss, mushroom caps, and patchouli.

In the kitchen were frogs roasting on the spit, and dishes preparing of snail skins, with children's fingers in them, salad of mushroom seed, hemlock, noses and marrow of mice, beer from the marsh woman's brewery, and sparkling salt-petre wine from the grave cellars.

BEER FROM THE MARSH WOMAN'S BREWERY

A beer flavored with marsh arrow grass, yew berries, purple foxglove, and giant hogweed.

"You are invited to the elf hill for this evening," said she; "but will you do me a great favor and undertake the invitations? you ought to do something, for you have no housekeeping to attend to as I have. We are going to have some very grand people, conjurors, who have always something to say; and therefore the old elf king wishes to make a great display."

"Croak," said the night-raven as he flew away with the invitations.

THE NIGHT-RAVEN

Indigo musk, wild plum, rose geranium, benzoin, night-blooming jasmine, and patchouli.

"Well, I suppose I must tell you now," he replied; "two of my daughters must prepare themselves to be married, for the marriages certainly will take place. The old goblin from Norway, who lives in the ancient Dovre mountains, and who possesses many castles built of rock and freestone, besides a gold mine, which is better than all, so it is thought, is coming with his two sons, who are both seeking a wife. The old goblin is a true-hearted, honest, old Norwegian graybeard; cheerful and straightforward. I knew him formerly, when we used to drink together to our good fellowship: he came here once to fetch his wife, she is dead now. She was the daughter of the king of the chalk-hills at Moen. They say he took his wife from chalk; I shall be delighted to see him again. It is said that the boys are ill-bred, forward lads, but perhaps that is not quite correct, and they will become better as they grow older. Let me see that you know how to teach them good manners."

THE OLD GOBLIN

A crown of hardened ice and polished fir-cones.

Hero Initiative has a few copies of the LE Unknown/Cat Allingsham set left over. If you would like one you can email lori@heroinitiative.org to reserve a copy.

Limited to just 100 copies, this numbered hardcover edition features a bookplate newly illustrated by artist Minck Oosterveer and signed by Oosterveer and Mark Waid.

This special edition comes with a 5ml bottle of Cat Allingham from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab.

CAT ALLINGHAM

Catherine Allingham, the world's greatest detective, has been diagnosed with an incurable brain tumor and given six months to live. But she refuses to go quietly. She's determined to first unravel the greatest mystery of all--what happens to us when we die? Cat and her brawny assistant, James Doyle, chase the secret of the afterlife around the globe in this fast-paced graphic novel!

Distilled shadows, a bleak desert landscape at midnight: Myroswelia balsam, gaïac wood, obsidian musk, green cumin, patchouli, myrrh, Siamese benzoin, frankincense, champaca, and sand.