Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Iceblink

Smokestack Claw Polish

SMOKESTACK CLAW POLISH
Metallic Pearl
Sooty, gunmetal-tinged billows of opaque, near-black shimmer.

The description of Smokestack is dead-on. There's a touch of blue to the gunmetal-grey in this--very nice. It has some shimmer but it's not sparkly like Bordello is--it's more subtle. This is a more elegant, non-emo way to wear black nails.

Really? I'm the second person to review this since its release? Weird.

Not quite black, not quite purple, and not quite blue, Smokestack is all and none of the above. It's a luscious navy blue - almost - black with purple - black shimmer. As the previous reviewer said, the description is spot-on. In the bottle, it has tons of shimmer but once on the nail, you don't really see it unless in direct sunlight or very bright light. The shimmer is still there but it is much more subdued. As with all the claw polishes, the sheen is incredible: it looks like you have on a top coat when you don't.

This is a very unique, elegant color. I was showing my friend the three colors I bought and she zeroed in on this one, saying it was on par with something Chanel might put out. It's cool and edgy but also elegant and sophisticated. This would probably be best during the winter but I might just start wearing it now. Given my short nails and a large blop of polish, I could almost achieve bottle color in one go, but I really recommend two. It looks best after the second coat.

I only swatched it and haven't had the chance to give it a full wear. I cannot testify to chipping, wear, dry time, etc, but once it's been given a proper wear, I'll come back and update my review.

Bottom line, for now: gorgeous, a delightful blend of goth and classic elegance, and very unique. Also makes for an excellent base color should you want to put a sheer glitter over it. I found that one thin coat of Zoya Kotori was fabulous.