Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
shriekingviolet

New features & new subforum

All right, I created a new subforum to separate Elizabeth's updates from any forum-related updates. Just felt the need, as it seemed more organized. Particularly since I've been in a hacking mood lately and will probably do some more during the next few weeks. Don't want to clutter up the announcements forum!

Anyway, I'm sure some people have found a few of the new features I've installed but I'll list them anyway.

I added a TON of new colors and a few fonts for your post text choices. Some of the colors are a bit pale for this forum, so use your own discretion.

I added a mood hack, meaning you can go into your user CP ("my controls") and set your current mood which will display beside your posts *points to hers on the left*. I think I put in like 165 choices, so surely you can find something to suit you!

I also hacked into the code for date of birth settings. You no longer have to put in your year, so any age sensitive members can add theirs in without having to worry about their age popping up on the calendar or in the birthday announcements. Instead of your age it'll just input the current year.

I added 3 new member field for the profile where you can list your gender (LOL kind of pointless since guys are such a small minority here), your astrological information and your scent preferences.

There's also a feature to set your default text color and font, so that you don't have to put in font and color tags every time you post, it'll show up automatically. This hack is a bit buggy though. Nothing major, but once you change your font & color, the change applies to all of your posts where you hadn't already inserted font & color tags. It also resets your font & color choice whenever you go to edit your profile which is kinda a pain in the ass. Not a big deal though since you just reselect your preferences whenever you update your other info. I'm looking into getting that last one fixed. It's a bug in the hack that the author never addressed, so I'm waiting for him to either stop ignoring his support thread and answer my question or try to find another hack that does the same thing but works better.

Last hack of mention: I added a quick reply hack to the PM system, so there'll be a form to reply to messages without having to load up another page. Had Elizabeth in mind here since I know she gets so many PMs!

Ahhh I think that's all. Have fun guys. :P

Thanks shriekingviolet, I've been having a play! Whee!

The mood indicator has been flummoxing me though - when I chose 'dreamy' and saved it, it kept coming out as 'drunk' when I tried to change/save it...maybe it's trying to tell me something. :P

Is it possible to tailor the forum "titles" (like wench/rogue, lady/gentleman) so the appropriate one shows up when you pick your gender?

I really like having my font/color set automatically. Woohoo! :P

Is it possible to tailor the forum "titles" (like wench/rogue, lady/gentleman) so the appropriate one shows up when you pick your gender?

I really like having my font/color set automatically.  Woohoo!  :P

yeah, it's possible to have it go 'lady' for women, 'gentleman' for men, and 'lady/gentleman' for undisclosed.

The mood indicator has been flummoxing me though - when I chose 'dreamy' and saved it, it kept coming out as 'drunk' when I tried to change/save it...maybe it's trying to tell me something. :D

Yes it is trying to tell you something, but it's telling you something about me. :D Perhaps I shouldn't code over margaritas anymore. There was a lot of copying and pasting when I was editing the code and I didn't completely edit the line for dreamy. It's fixed now though so you can be dreamy all you like!

And Shollin, I'm sure it's possible, not quite sure how I'd go about it yet. I'll put it on my list for things to look into. :P

LOL I've been known to be quite the enabler when it comes to binge drinking, so perhaps I was subconsciously trying to guide people. So wonderful that someone picked it up! :P

I love the new features, and by no means I want to criticize, but would it be possible to add 'menstrual' to the mood indicator? :P

haha! It's the end of cold season. I thought we might need something for people who are zonked on too much cough medicine. Or for me when I'm talking painkillers during PMS for menstral cramps. Doped up is a necessity. :P

Sign in to follow this