Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
ipb

Reduction in time for something to be a swaplift

Recently, it has come to light that Paypal requires that you file claims within 45 days of purchase. Since we had a 6 week (42 day) time limit before we considered something to be swaplifting, that gave y'all three days to file problems with Paypal. It also gives people much more time to potentially swaplift.

As a result, effected immediately we have decided to reduce the time that we consider something to be a swaplift from 6 weeks to 1 month. It makes it easier for everyone to determine if enough time has passed for it to be a swaplift -- I don't know about you, but I had to break out a calendar for 6 weeks; it's pretty easy to tell if it's been a month! It reduces the time people can arrange more swaps, and thus reduces the impact a mass swaplifter can have on the community. It increases the window between reporting swaplift and filing with Paypal (for those of you who purchased items instead of sending). All in all, it is a good thing.

But that does not mean that this decision does not come with a negative, because it does. It decreases the time that you have if the post office or customs is being slow, something none of us have control over. For your own sake, keep receipts of things you send if you use buy shipping online or directly at the post office, and keep the stamped copy of the customs forms for international shipping. It's my experience that people who haven't received their items within a month and do later tend to be victims of the supreme slacker, not of the post office, so this change should not impact most people - and it's unlikely to be effecting all of your transactions. We feel that overall, more good will come from making swaplifting reporting easier and allowing those who purchased (instead of swapped) more time to file charge disputes or non-receipt of item with Paypal.

Please review the FAQ: What to do if I've been swaplifted to review how to handle swaplifts! But, the summary is: PM a swap moderator with the details of the swap (or by forwarding a PM with the details in it) one month after the swap was finalized, leave negative feedback, and if it was a sale whose items have not been received, approach the appropriate entity to initiate procedures to get your money back.

Sign in to follow this