Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tirwen

Looking for something similar to Dirty English

I've been wanting to order from BPAL for awhile, and now that my husband's getting into wearing cologne, I'm thinking about ordering. The problem is to decide what to try. He likes water scents (like Nautica,etc), but his current favorite is Juicy Couture's Dirty English.

Notes: Peppered Mandarin, Blue Cypress, Calabrian Bergamot, Caraway, Cardamom Pods, Marjoram, Black Leather, Sandalwood, Atlas Cedar Wood, Vetiver Roots, Agar Wood, Ebony Wood, Black Moss Absolute, Amber Musk

Thanks for any suggestions!

That list of notes screams The Salon to me. I'd suggest you start by looking through those listings, and also check out Lucifer and Dracul.

Lucifer (this is a retail-only Salon, but you can probably find a decant if you post in the wanted forum): Indonesian red patchouli, amber, oak wood, pimento berry, fig leaf, and vetiver

Dracul (Diabolus): Black musk, tobacco, fir, balsam of peru, cumin, bitter clove, crushed mint, and orange blossom

I've not tried Dirty English before; could you describe the scent? The list of notes sounds divine, but I'm curious about what the overall effect of the combination is. Is it citrusy? Spicy? Leathery? Woody? Citrusy-spicy-leathery-woody? Sweet? Sharp? Clean? Manly? Gender-neutral?

The blend with the most notes in common seems to be Nephilim:

Nephilim (Diabolus) - Holy frankincense and hyssop in union with earthy fig, defiled by black patchouli and vetiver, with a chaotic infusion of lavender, cardamom, tamarind, rosemary, oakmoss and cypress.

The citrus-leather combo suggests Severin:

Severin (Ars Amatoria) - Dry black teas, Earl Gray, and leather.

And the "peppered mandarin" suggests Tweedledee:

Tweedledee (Mad Tea Party) - Kumquat, white pepper, white tea and orange blossom.

For cardamom and wood, Bezoar from the Carnaval Diabolique is a must-have:

Bezoar (Carnaval Diabolique) - Copaiba balsam, Tolu balsam, hay absolute, cardamom, and hiba wood.

And Wilde is a gorgeous citrus-y scent that might fit the bill:

Wilde (Bewitching Brews) - A sophisticated traditional gentleman’s cologne, with just the slightest taint of patchouli’s passion, tonka bean’s decadence, the philanthropy of bergamot, moss’ cynicism, the sharp wit of lavender, and the hopeless romantic longing of jasmine and thyme.

Spider might work, too:

Spider (Anansi Boys) - White ginger, artemesia, vetiver, nutmeg, King mandarin, bergamot, and lime.

If those are too light, he might want to try layering them with some deeper scents like:

Azathoth
(Picnic in Arkham) - Tangerine, saffron, vetiver, black amber and cedarwood.

Casanova
(Ars Amatoria) - A rakish blend of leather, anise, lavender, bergamot and amber with tonka, lemon peel and lusty patchouli.

Clémence
(Carnaval Diabolique) - Patchouli, Kashmiri tea, cardamom, black pepper, carnation, and clove.

De Sade
(Sin & Salvation) - The essence of pleasure heightened by pain: the raw scent of leather.

The High Priest Not to be Described
(Picnic in Arkham) - Monastic incense, blood musk, black leather, cypress, pimento, white pepper, and Roman chamomile.

Iago
(Illyria) - Malevolent, dark and shadowy: sinuous black musk, wet leather and vetiver

Rumpelstilzchen
(Marchen) - Firewood and ash with an oddly otherworldly blend of patchouli, cardamom, nutmeg, black pepper, tonka, vetiver, and myrrh

Titus Andronicus
(Illyira) - Dark musk and black amber with frankincense, red sandalwood, neroli and bergamot

Two Monsters
(The Salon) - Oakmoss, vetiver, black musk, champaca flower, leather, patchouli, ginger, Japanese pittosporum, ambergris and white pepper.

Umbra
(Bewitching Brews) - East African black patchouli, cedarwood, vetiver and a dribble of cinnamon.

With the exceptions of Bezoar, Clémence, Spider, and Two Monsters, these are all GC scents that are available in imp-form from the Lab.

I'm very curious about this... do report back with his results! :P

It's kinda spicy muted citrus at first, with the leather coming through after a little bit. It winds up spicy/leather/woodsy.

It's a men's fragrance, but I'd consider it more unisex.

The best I can explain the fragrance after awhile on the skin - a little pepper, sandalwood, a bit of leather, and... carnation. I know carnation isn't on the list, but that's the closest I can come to the spicy scent.

Edited by tirwen

It's kinda spicy muted citrus at first, with the leather coming through after a little bit. It winds up spicy/leather/woodsy.

It's a men's fragrance, but I'd consider it more unisex.

The best I can explain the fragrance after awhile on the skin - a little pepper, sandalwood, a bit of leather, and... carnation. I know carnation isn't on the list, but that's the closest I can come to the spicy scent.

Hmmn... the carnation note adds a few more possibilities:

The Bow & Crown of Conquest
(Sin & Salvation) - Sage, carnation and cedar with lavender, vanilla, white musk and leather.

Masquerade
(Bewitching Brews) - Patchouli, ambergris, carnation and orange blossom.

Saint-Germain
(Bewitching Brews) - an elegant, timeless, truly refined cologne, bold yet classic: gilded amber, hypnotic lavender, brash carnation and deep mosses.

Some people find the spiciness of carnation to be similar to clove, and with that in mind, Ahania's suggestion of Dracul might be good. Also:

The Wild Men of Jezirat al Tennyn
(Carnaval Diabolique) - Red amber, Spanish moss, Indonesian patchouli, ambergris, red pepper, two cloves, and vanilla flower.

And there's a peppered leather scent in the Carnaval:

Hand of Glory
(Carnaval Diabolique) - Beeswax, dry leather, black pepper, saltpeter, nutmeg, Mysore sandalwood, and oak bark.

If you and he like the leather note in Dirty English, I would definitely get some De Sade. Most people perceive it as a black leather single note, and you might like it by itself or layered with some of these other blends. Maybe get him an imp pack and let him experiment? Based on the notes and your description, I might go with:

Azathoth

De Sade

The Bow & Crown of Conquest

The High Priest Not to be Described

Severin

Titus Andronicus

Hopefully someone who's actually smelled Dirty English will pipe up!

Just resurrecting this to say that the Dark Delicacies scent Mutant Hot-Rodders from Hell High sounds like it would really fit the bill:

Mutant Hot-Rodders from Hell High
(Dark Delicacies) - Shiny black leather jackets, gleaming silver studs, black pepper, pungent lime, and hellfire.