Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hellogeri

Scents that remind of you of... The Cure!

Hi all, I'm new to BPAL and I haven't even placed my first order for a set of Imps yet, but I certainly plan on doing so ASAP...

I noticed a similar thread a good few pages back, but it was related more to song scents than scents that remind you of a band as a whole.

I'm a HUGE fan of The Cure and I'm going to my very first show next month. I'm one of those people that strongly links memory with certain scents, so naturally it makes sense for me to wear something special that will help me remember the whole experience years down the road. I'm aware that it's possible that I won't receive my order in time (especially since I'm in Canada), but I'm going to try my luck anyways!

I also know this is an impossible question, as The Cure's music varies from one extreme to another. But generally, my overall impression is one of dreaminess.

Of course, I wouldn't mind having a scent more on par with their dark side, either. And I know that Robert Smith's lipstick really smells like vanilla, and I know that he likes vanilla, so that's another scent that I tend to associate with them.

I'm also aware of The Caterpillar scent, and I'll probably pick up an imp of that just because... :P

Fire away! I don't want anything TOO masculine, by the way. But nothing over the top girly, either. Maybe that will help narrow the choices.

I'm a HUGE fan of The Cure and I'm going to my very first show next month. I'm one of those people that strongly links memory with certain scents, so naturally it makes sense for me to wear something special that will help me remember the whole experience years down the road. I'm aware that it's possible that I won't receive my order in time (especially since I'm in Canada), but I'm going to try my luck anyways!

I also know this is an impossible question, as The Cure's music varies from one extreme to another. But generally, my overall impression is one of dreaminess.

Of course, I wouldn't mind having a scent more on par with their dark side, either. And I know that Robert Smith's lipstick really smells like vanilla, and I know that he likes vanilla, so that's another scent that I tend to associate with them.

I'm also aware of The Caterpillar scent, and I'll probably pick up an imp of that just because... :P

Fire away! I don't want anything TOO masculine, by the way. But nothing over the top girly, either. Maybe that will help narrow the choices.

I am not a fan of vanilla, but if you are looking for a slightly less-girly vanilla scent, you might try:

The Bow and Crown of Conquest (Sin & Salvation): Nobility and haughtiness befitting the Antichrist: sage, carnation and cedar with lavender, vanilla, white musk and leather.

Tombstone (Wanderlust): A celebration of one of the first commercially produced perfumes of America's Old West. A rugged, warm blend of vanilla, balsam and sassafras layered over Virginia cedar.

For a non-vanillic, unisex scent that would put me in mind of the darker side of The Cure, I would heartily recommend:

Nosferatu (Diabolus): desiccated herbs and gritty earth brought to life with a swell of robust and sanguineous red wines.

(Nosferatu doesn't smell "dessicated" or "gritty" to me; it's a sharp, rich green spiked with a tang of spicy berries on my skin.)

The Black Tower (Bewitching Brews): A sepulchral, desolate scent. Long-dead soldiers, oath-bound; the perfume of their armor, the chill wind that surges through their tower, white bone and blackened steel: white sandalwood, ambergris, wet ozone, galbanum and leather with ebony, teak, burnt grasses, English ivy and a hint of red wine.

And you might find more suggestions in these threads:

Need *dark* scents for those kind of days!

The absolute darkest scents? ghostly, haunting, scary,, Foreboding, disturbing, mysterious, spooky etc.

Searching for the Perfect Vanilla?, Find it here, alone or in combos

I hope you enjoy the show!

Hi there and welcome to the boards! :P

Would you happen to be in Vancouver, by any chance? If so, I will see you at the show next month!

We have a few The Cure resident experts (FireInCairo, where are you?), but in the meantime, may I suggest... well, Cairo for the obvious association!

Could you tell us what your favourite songs are and what you really love about them? Like you said, their music is so diverse and rich that it is hard to isolate one aspect in particular... for instance, Last Dance to me really embodies that dreaminess that you mentioned and for me, the scent of this song is Haunted. But your mileage may (and will!) vary :D

Edited by Ishtar

Depending on the kind of dreaminess you're going for, I'd suggest Mouse's Long and Sad Tale. It's more "Just Like Heaven" than Disintegration, if that helps.