Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Browneyes

Habanita by Molinard (1920's)

:D hello!

Has anyone tried the fragrance Habanita by Molinard? (I received a tester of it when visiting the perfume factory in Grasse a couple of years ago, and I love it!) And if so, has anyone tried a BPAL oil that is similar in smell and (/or) "feeling"? I suppose my best bet is to look for an oil that dries down most similarly - i.e. with more or less the same heart and base-notes?

I did a search and found out that two forum members made comparisons to Habanita when reviewing Torture King and Snake Charmer, but I was looking to find something that is more easily available (since those two were LE's)

Habanita:

Top Notes: Galbanum, Lentisque, Petitgrain (don't know these :P )

Heart Notes: Rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, orris, heliotrope, vetiver, muscat, cedar

Base Notes: Amber, oakmoss, vanilla, musk, sandalwood, patchouli

Lentisque is another word for gum mastic, and petitgrain is an oil derived from the bitter orange tree, which also produces neroli. Sounds like you're looking for a blend that's both bright and incensey, with a rich, sweet drydown. I know you don't want to hear about another LE you can't order an imp of, but I wonder if you don't want to think about one of the Snake Pit blends, maybe Temple Viper, Banded Sea Snake or King Cobra, for something that's got that rich incensey sweetness at the heart but a little clarity and brightness to it as well--at least they're not discontinued yet, and as people start getting their decants there should be imps on the forums for swap.

In the GC, the closest I can think of by base/heartnotes would be Les Infortunes de la Vertu, Versailles or Moscow if the scent goes more floral on you, or maybe Greed or Sri Lanka if it's more woody/incensy. As I have not had the opportunity to try Habanita, however, you may want to take those with a large grain of salt :P

Thank you! Those are all very interesting suggestions that I have not tried yet. :D

It's not really a "bright" incense feeling that I get from Habanita though, more a sort of heady, slightly powdery (in the good way, to me at least) floral, enriched with vanilla and woody resins. At this level of my scent/BPAL experience, I would connect incense notes more with Scherezade (which I also find lovely, but very different from this particular quest)

Anyways, I'm definately also considering some of the Snakes, they sound simply divine :P

If I ever do find a BPAL scent similar to Habanita I'll post here again for future reference to anyone who might be interested.

Sign in to follow this