Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cclasky

Bpal similar to Hermes Eau de Merveille?

I've ( for whatever reason :P ) been avoiding green and woody scents. I've been focusing on florals and spices. However....my FAVE conventional fragrance is Hermes' Eau De Merveille and I just looked up it's notes:

Oak, Cedar, Vetiver top notes

Ambergris middle

Bitter orange, Elemi (huh?) Pink Pepper base.

Go figure. So Bpal connoiseurs.....what Bpal scents will speak to me along these lines?

Thanks for any imput you can offer! Christine

That sounds... backwards. Quite literally. Is this a more green and woody feeling scent, or a more sweet amber feeling scent?

If it's mostly green, I'd lean towards Incantation, The Music of Erich Zahn and Azazoth to start off with. Not sure what to try if it's mostly amber in feel.

Kalli

Hi Kalli....thanks for replying.

I was surprised to read the notes as well......especially since it does appear backwards. That's why it's so unique from what I've been reading. It's very untraditional in its composition. I can tell you that I can't pick out a single note with my nose while wearing it. It gives me a golden, glimmering feel. It's not a floral....not anything patchouli scented or incense-like. Maybe this is what amber smells like?

I LOVE it. I also really like Chanel no 19 ( SO green.....I looked up those notes too....top= galbanum, bergamot, neroli, hyacinth.

middle= rose orris jasmine narcissus muguet ylang ylang

base= musk sandal oakmoss leather cedarwood.

I'd love a bpal like that one too.

Plus....Ysatis...another fave......I can't find it broken down into top/heart/base but know it contains mandarin oakmoss rose vanilla iris clove and amber.

Any recommendations that you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm lost!

Christine

That sounds... backwards. Quite literally. Is this a more green and woody feeling scent, or a more sweet amber feeling scent?

If it's mostly green, I'd lean towards Incantation, The Music of Erich Zahn and Azazoth to start off with. Not sure what to try if it's mostly amber in feel.

Kalli

golden and glimmering would definitely be amber to my nose. I would recommend trying The Lion for a pure ambery scent. Also for fruitier amber oils with the some notes you listed for Chanel 19, try Titus Andronicus and Pannychis.

I love all three and would recommend them to anyone. :P

Edited by klavierbarrette

The Lion is my favorite amber as well. I'll be no help on no 19, since it's one of those frags that is full of allergy triggers for me *sigh*.

Kalli

Plus....Ysatis...another fave......I can't find it broken down into top/heart/base but know it contains mandarin oakmoss rose vanilla iris clove and amber.

Christine

Here's what I found for Givenchy Ysatis:

Top notes: mandarin, bergamot, ylang-ylang, galbanum, orange blossom, coconut, rosewood, greens, and aldehydes.

Middle notes: rose, jasmine, polianthes, iris, tuberose, ylang-ylang, carnation, narcissus.

End notes: bay rum, vetiver, patchouli, oak moss, sandalwood, clove, vanilla, amber, musk, honey, civet, and castoreum.

edit: found here: http://www.parfumsraffy.com/notes.html

Edited by ilona

I love this scent as well . . . on me, the dominant note is the ambergris accord, which is probably primarily made up of amber and something musk-like. If you're looking to match it when it's dry I'd look for something with amber and citrus or citrus and musk. I do suspect it of having aldehydes or some other chemical kick, though, so you may not be able to match it perfectly.