Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Silverstrike

Wanted: BPAL version of Etro's Ambra

The sample card I have of Ambra says: "The scent of balsam floating up the Danube, of Venetian tapestries, of Babilonyan sensuality. Oriental, feminine by literary tradition, does not really make a distinction between the sexes. Vanilla and a hint of balsam with labdanum, storax and opoponax create the aromatic thread of centuries-old temptations."

I have no idea what balsam, labdanum, storax or opoponax smell like, but I don't think vanilla is the primary note that I'm smelling that's agreeing with me (I'm not certain what amber smells like either), but it smells sweet (probably the vanilla) and smooth and woody, and I can't help but think that a BPAL version would be even better. (As it is, Etro's Ambra smells great on when it's wet, but after a few hours, I get a rubbery tire smell.)

Especially for any BPALers who are possibly acquainted with Ambra, is there a BPAL scent out there that's like Ambra (but maybe without the dry-down tire smell)?

Never smelt Ambra, but from the notes and your description I'm thinking

Snake Charmer and Snake Oil. Other blends have floral notes that you havn't mentioned.

I'm also not familiar with Ambra, but from the notes, I'm wondering if you've tried Tombstone? Its A rugged, warm blend of vanilla, balsam and sassafras layered over Virginia cedar., Its listed as traditionally masculine, but its a slightly sweet/vanilla woodsy smell, and very lovely.

Also something with similar notes (and a beautiful blend) is Anubis: His scent is a blend of holy myrrh, storax, balsam, and embalming herbs. I would defnitley say that Anubis evokes the centuries old temptations. :P

I've not tried Hades, but its listed as:black narcissus and cypress, stephanotis, opoponax, labdanum, onycha and ambergris. Might be worth a shot, since its got the opoponax and labdanum.

Good luck! I hope you find one that works.

I am thinking that if it's called Ambra it might have a bit of an amber-like scent, in which case Aureus would be a great choice since that's super golden amber. Not very sweet though. Anubis was also kind of golden and resiny with a sweet aspect but that was a more honeyed sweetness than vanilla.

It never hurts to try Snake Oil though! :P

I have a bottle of Ambra that has been completely neglected since I discovered BPAL, it used to be one of my favorite fragrances.

Of the BPAL i've tried so far I haven't come across one that smells the same, but for what it's worth here are some similarities I've found:

Cathedral has a similar woody note, Snake Oil a similar sweetness. Penitence as a similar overall impression of Ambra to me, but a little less sweet. Sloth also has the "feel" of Ambra but spicier.

Now I have Ambra on one arm and Penitence on the other and I would say they are the closest to each other I can find.

I have a bottle of Ambra that has been completely neglected since I discovered BPAL, it used to be one of my favorite fragrances.

Of the BPAL i've tried so far I haven't come across one that smells the same, but for what it's worth here are some similarities I've found:

Cathedral has a similar woody note, Snake Oil a similar sweetness. Penitence as a similar overall impression of Ambra to me, but a little less sweet. Sloth also has the "feel" of Ambra but spicier.

Now I have Ambra on one arm and Penitence on the other and I would say they are the closest to each other I can find.

I have tried Snake Oil and Tombstone, which didn't translate well with my skin to anything Ambra-like, but I'm so glad I have other oils to try out now. Thanks so much!

Sign in to follow this