Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
shriekingviolet

Forum Re-Opened! Welcome to 2.1

Welcome back everyone! The upgrade went fairly smoothly. No major problems encountered apart from lethargy on my part. :P There's still a little work I'll be doing in the next few days on this, so don't be alarmed if things seem to change a bit while you're surfing.

As last upgrade (for those of you who were with us a year ago) for the next month, I'd prefer all questions/comments regarding the new software or possible bug reports to be submitted to me via pm and not on the forum at large. Just easier for me and I'd appreciate your cooperation.

Now on to known bug listings, missing features, moved items and new features lists:

Bugs:

• Previously read topics marked as unread. This is a temporary problem, the way cookies are handled by the board changed from 2.0 to 2.1, so things were reset. As you use the forum, that will fix itself over the next week or so. Using the "mark forum as read" option will help this!
  • Rich-text editor doesn't always work properly for Mac user, especialy those who browse with safari. (see new features)
  • Reward Points are now public as the new mod doesn't have an option to make them private. Also it will look like you have 2 points levels. I'm in the process of moving your old (higher) counts to the new system, but it'll take a few days. Once I'm done, we'll dump the old field.

Missing Features (i.e. previously installed code mods that were here before, but aren't now):

• Topic View History
  • Favorite Topic Sorting Option
  • Go invisible/visible option on the member bar (you can still change your visibility status if you relog in)
  • More feature-rich fast reply panel
  • pre-set pm preferences as to whether you want the "Add a copy of this message to my sent items folder" and "Track this message?" boxes checked automatically.

Those are just the ones I remember offhand, and as I said in the last announcement, I'll reinstall those as the code for them is rewritten to be made compatible for 2.1.

Moved Features:

• Mark as Read and Subscribe to This Forum/Topic links are now apart of a drop down menu on at the top of the forum/topic that you can get to by clicking the link marked "options."

New Features

• Drastically different posting screen. Especially if you decide to use the rich text editor option (which you can select under 'board settings' in your control panel)
  • Rich text editor option for non-quick reply posting which acts as a WYSIWYG editor. I realize that description may not make much sense to non-geeks, but just play around with it and you'll get the idea. This feature seems to have shaky Mac support (though the forum software was written and tested on a Mac, so it must work somehow), and two of the mods have told me it doesn't work with Safari. I can't test or tweak that since I have no access to a MAC, so I'll take their word for it. The standard editor still works fine for you guys though!
  • New poll and new topic screens merged. If you intend to start a poll, you'll click "new topic" and underneath the area where you input the title and subtitle, there's a link that reads: manage poll options. Click it and go from there.
  • Multiple question polls
  • Quicker editing options for posts.
  • Re-designed my assistant that doesn't involve a separate pop-up window
  • New method of new pm alerts!
  • New reward point counter in the review area which I'm in the process of updating so that all of your points are in that counter rather than the older one. This spells out for MUCH less work for me and means you get points for each review as soon as you write them.
  • New calendar system. It's isn't finished yet, but there will be 4 separate calendar views: the birthday/holiday calendar, the lab's calendar, the mod forum calendar (where we'll leave notes regarding downtime and mod vacations, etc.), and the member calendar where you all can add your own events!

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll add to the list as I think of them or I'm reminded when people ask! I didn't bother listing all of the new features on the administration end as they're of no benefit to you, but there are many that will make it easier for us to run things.

Thanks for your patience when things have been done and for your patience in learning the new software!

Ah! and there's now a spellcheck option for the quick reply form and the standard editor reply. We're working on getting it to work in the rich text editor! :P

If you used to have a resizing element to your signature, please remove it; there is a random bug that is blowing up certain sizes.

Sign in to follow this