Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
ipb

Nested Quotes

Nested quoting has been turned back on.

If nested quoting is gratitously used, individuals may be warned. We do NOT want to see something like the incident that caused us to turn them off (where there were 5+ quotes nested just because).

The Fourm Etiquette FAQ talks a bit about using quotes, and discussion about it can be done there. For your convenience, the portion regarding nested quotes is below:

[in]Nesting quotes: so good, yet so bad. It really goes back to the previous statement on using an entire quote when you're only discussing part of it -- sure, if Peter want to address something Jill said (and quoted Jack), that's one thing. But it's not good to do it just because the quote appears there by default - it wastes the time of the people reading it and it wastes forum resources AND bandwidth. So please, only have nested quotes where it's relevant.

So, good nested quotes:

The price of gas in LA is soooooooo cheap!
No it's not! It's nearly $3.50!
The price of gas in Paris, where Jack and I live, is $8/gallon - and I think I'd kill to only have to pay $3/gallon!

Bad nested quotes:

The price of gas in LA is soooooooo cheap!
No it's not! it's nearly $3.50/gallon! Where the hell are you shopping?!

Thank god for my hybrid car - I get 50mpg, so ithe price of gas isn't as nearly as bad as it would have been if I had bought the SUV I'd been considering.

what kind of hybrid do you have? i've been thinking about buying one!

Bad nested quotes turned good:

Thank god for my hybrid car - I get 50mpg, so ithe price of gas isn't as nearly as bad as it would have been if I had bought the SUV I'd been considering.
what kind of hybrid do you have? i've been thinking about buying one!

(PMs are another story, though - unlike quoted posts, which have the snapback link so you could go back to read the original post with just a click or you could use the topic search function at the bottom of each topic page, you have to manually search through your PMs to find the previous one, assuming that you saved it!)

Sign in to follow this