Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Shollin

Changes in Reviews

Hiya folks,

When I have time in the next few weeks/months/whatever, I'll be going through the reviews and editing out most of the Lab descriptions. It isn't uncommon to see five or six reviews in a row that include the Lab description, and it's come to my attention that some people find the repetition so annoying that they avoid reading reviews because of it.

If you're seeing 25 posts per page (the forum default), you'll get the description at the top of every page. Those of you who always post the description in your review... you won't be warned for doing so, but I'd take it as a kindness if you'd refrain in the future.

Thanks!

Edited by Shollin

The Great Description Weed-Out of 2005 is complete. If you happen to stumble across a Lab description where it shouldn't be, or if there's a page-topper review that doesn't include a description, feel free to hit the report button so we can fix it. (Though if it's less than 12 hours old, please assume we just haven't seen it yet.)

Thanks to all for your cooperation, extra thanks to quite a few folks for changing your review format to stop putting the descriptions in... and a special thanks to folks who notice after posting that you're at the top of a new page and go back to edit it in. I really appreciate all the help. :P

I'm trying something new to make the organization of reviews a bit more proactive, and hopefully it'll be helpful to those intrepid souls who post The First Review of a new scent.

I'm going to start posting new review topics for each new scent as it goes live. (Some sharp-eyed forumites may have noticed a few of these appearing this evening for the handful of Literary Vampire scents that didn't yet have reviews.)

This "placeholder" topic will contain all the information that eventually ends up in every review topic - the full Lab description (including any poetic or literary inspiration), the release date, any relevant subcategory - but this way, it'll be there from the beginning. And the process for posting new reviews will change only slightly:

1) You get your bottle, you sniff it, you love it (or hate it), you want to tell us about it.

2) You do a search* for the name of the scent. This isn't a change; you should be doing this anyway before posting new topics.

3) Voila! Even if no one else has reviewed it yet, the placeholder topic for that scent will pop up, and you'll post your review as a reply to that topic.

4) Whoever is first to review, please report the topic's first post so I can merge it with yours. That way you'll be listed as the Topic Starter. (This reminder will also be included in every placeholder topic I post.)

And there's a new subforum, too!

As part of trying to get reviews more organized, we've made a new place for Event Exclusives, where you'll find reviews of the Trunk Show prototypes, along with Comic-Con exclusives, Convergence scents, things you can buy only at Will Call, that sorta thing. The Retail Exclusives subforum is still around for things like the Traveling Salon Exhibit, Dark Delicacies' Summer Blockbuster Series, and other retail-only scents that don't require you to attend a certain event to get your hands on 'em.

Questions? My PM box is always open.

*Almost-foolproof search tips for finding anything in Reviews:

1) Type the name of the scent into the "Search by Keywords" blank. (Hyphens are your enemy; the site treats a hyphen as a minus sign, so if you search for "lambs-wool" it thinks you mean "find 'lambs' but not 'wool'," and the search will fail. Just put a space in; searching for "lambs wool" or "ya te vo" works just fine.)

2) In the "Search Where" box, highlight "Reviews." (The box for "Search in child forums" should already be checked; that's the default, If it's not, check it now.)

3) Under "Refine Search," select the option for "Search titles only." (The option for "Show results as topics" should already be selected; that's the default. If it's not, select it now.)

4) Search!

5) If you can't find what you're looking for, check here. If you still can't find it, please PM me before starting a new topic yourself... I'm pretty good at hunting these things down.

Sign in to follow this