Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
kebechet

Fr00t Moon Live a little early...

... because I am too sick to pull another all-nighter at the Lab. =/

Verbatim from the Shiny & New Page...

- - -

Happy Thursday, all! My head is foggy from summer flu fun [yes, I'm sick again] and the monstrous weather, so I’m going to make this update on the update brief and to the point. Black Phoenix Trading Post will be introducing a few new tees and a Carnaval Noir poster [images courtesy of the fantastic, the inimitable Jennifer Williamson] within the next few days. We had hoped to have both sites update simultaneously, but due to logistical issues, this is not possible. The elemental blends [Gnome, Sylph, Salamander and Undine] will be live on the BPTP site when the new tees and poster go live. We’ll keep you posted.

For reasons too numerous to mention, Carnaval Noir will remain up and whirling until September 1st, 2005.

Bad news: Glitter has been discontinued due to a component issue.

New at the Lab:

LIMITED EDITION

FRUIT MOON -- The bountiful, bright and vivacious prelude to the Harvest. A horde of wet, ripe fruits: green apple, apricot, blackberry, black cherry, black and red currants, cantaloupe, English pear, guava, lemon and lime, orange, mandarin orange, kiwi and mango, passion fruit, papaya, Georgia peach, raspberry, plum, tangerine, pomegranate and strawberry over a luminous blend of lunar oils.

NUMB -- I don’t know about the weather where you’re at, but here in L.A… it is brain-frying’ly, grr-stickity hot. This icy blend was something that we were saving for the upcoming [not soon enough!] winter months, but since Brian and I watched the thermometer slap 107 today, we decided that there’s no better time than the present to introduce a singularly chilly, delectably ice-rimmed perfume. Revel in the gelid polar frostiness that is Numb, and forget about the heat for a moment. This scent is extremely limited, and will be available until all the bottles are spoken for.

BEWITCHING BREWS

BLACK OPAL -- A play of geological darkness and jagged brilliance. Soft and luminescent with flashes of black fire.

THE BLACK TOWER --

Say that the men of the old black tower,

Though they but feed as the goatherd feeds,

Their money spent, their wine gone sour,

Lack nothing that a soldier needs,

That all are oath-bound men:

Those banners come not in.

There in the tomb stand the dead upright,

But winds come up from the shore:

They shake when the winds roar,

Old bones upon the mountain shake.

Those banners come to bribe or threaten,

Or whisper that a man's a fool

Who, when his own right king's forgotten,

Cares what king sets up his rule.

If he died long ago

Why do you dread us so?

There in the tomb drops the faint moonlight,

But wind comes up from the shore:

The tower's old cook that must climb and clamber

Catching small birds in the dew of the morn

When we hale men lie stretched in slumber

Swears that he hears the king's great horn.

But he's a lying hound:

Stand we on guard oath-bound!

There in the tomb the dark grows blacker,

But wind comes up from the shore:

A sepulchral, desolate scent. Long-dead soldiers, oath-bound; the perfume of their armor, the chill wind that surges through their tower, white bone and blackened steel: white sandalwood, ambergris, wet ozone, galbanum and leather with ebony, teak, burnt grasses, English ivy and a hint of red wine.

EPHEMERA --

'Your eyes that once were never weary of mine

Are bowed in sorrow under pendulous lids,

Because our love is waning.'

And then She:

'Although our love is waning, let us stand

By the lone border of the lake once more,

Together in that hour of gentleness

When the poor tired child, passion, falls asleep.

How far away the stars seem, and how far

Is our first kiss, and ah, how old my heart!'

Pensive they paced along the faded leaves,

While slowly he whose hand held hers replied:

'Passion has often worn our wandering hearts.'

The woods were round them, and the yellow leaves

Fell like faint meteors in the gloom, and once

A rabbit old and lame limped down the path;

Autumn was over him: and now they stood

On the lone border of the lake once more:

Turning, he saw that she had thrust dead leaves

Gathered in silence, dewy as her eyes,

In bosom and hair.

'Ah, do not mourn,' he said,

'That we are tired, for other loves await us;

Hate on and love through unrepining hours.

Before us lies eternity; our souls

Are love, and a continual farewell.'

The scent of loss, love and the echo of time without end: sorrowful violet and chamomile with muguet, white geranium, calla lily and tea rose with a hint of autumn leaves.

FUNEREAL OILS

ASPHODEL -- The grey and ghostly flower that fills the fields of Hades.

WANDERLUST

BENGAL -- A sultry and unruly blend that emulates the ambient scent of the markets in ancient Bengal: skin musk with honey, peppers, clove, cinnamon bark and ginger.

VERSAILLES -- Grand, courtly and robust: a glittering, golden scent that would do Louis XIV proud. Gilded red and gold citrus with amber, ruby roses, jasmine and orris.

EXCOLO

AL-SHAIRAN -- The enemy of God, also named Iblis, He Who Despaired of the Mercy of God. Al-Shairan is the leader of the Jinn, a tempter who whispers false suggestions to men enticing them into evil and perfidious acts, and is the sworn enemy of all of Adam’s children. His scent is fiery, bright and thick with sweet sinfulness: clove, peach and orange with cinnamon, patchouli and dark incense notes.

OLD SCRATCH -- Old Nick, the Devil himself, as seen through the eyes of Victorian New England. A jaunty, dapper scent, deceptively genteel: a lavender fougere with tonka, amber, rosewood and a whiff of diabolical patchouli.

PANACEA

ELIXIR VII: SAFARI -- A travel blend. Calms nerves, alleviates tension, soothes jetlag.