Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Debs

Please help me replicate Tommy Girl

I'm new and can't believe what I've been missing!

I've been wearing Tommy Girl ever since high school and while all these exotic sounding scents a la Snake Oil, etc sound really interesting I want something similar to what I know I definitely like.

Taken from Basenotes:

Top Notes

Camellia Flowers, Apple Blossoms, Blackcurrant, Mandarin, Tangerine

Middle Notes

Grapefruit, Citrus Orchards, Crisp Green Notes, Honeysuckle, Butterfly Violets

Base Notes

Desert Jasmin, Cherokee Rose, Magnolia Petals, Dakota Lilies, Cedar, Sandalwood, Wild Heather

And I've read the few threads that came up from searching, and these have been likened to Tommy Girl:

Szepasszony

Dragon’s Tears

What do you think? Also I do like Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea, if that helps, and I hate smelling like soap/powder. Thank you - I really appreciate any suggestions!

Hmmm...well, if you like green tea, then perhaps Shanghai? It's green tea, lemon, and honeysuckle--it's very much a "sweet water" scent to my nose :P Breezy and refreshing and slightly aquatic.

for green tea, I would definitely recommend "embalming fluid". I used to have the arden green tea and liked it well but LOVE LOVE LOVE the embalming fluid - a very similar scent but without any chemically lingering.

the tommy girl seems really difficult, and complicated. I think you should just try one of the more floral/ musk or amber mixes. then they hopefully won't go too soapy, and you can get an idea for what notes work for you. have fun!

I have a really old bottle of Tommy Girl in my cabinet, and after sniffing it I'd say, of the ones I've tried, the Dormouse, Embalming Fluid, Neo-Tokyo and possibly Dirty might be for you...

I've worn Tommy Girl off and on in the past, and on me, Embalming Fluid is a very close match -- not identical, but similar enough for me to make the comparison immediately the first time I sniffed an imp of EF.