Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Black Amber

I've tried both the Black Amber and the Egyptian Amber, and I have to admit that I prefer the Egyptian Amber's smooth, smoky, and liquid character.

The Black Amber's still a very true and vibrant amber scent, but it's a dry, grainy, and much less sweet amber. In a couple of the scent blends, this mellows into something I've mistaken for balsam, so you might have an idea of the lighter, woodier character of this one.

Whilst wet this smelt a bit acrid on me, but dried to a wonderful, slightly sweet, slightly smoky, gentle fragrance. I like this a lot.

I'm with jj_j - I have black amber on one wrist and egyptian amber on the other and they have been mellowing now for a decent interval.

To me the black amber smells a whole lot like vetiver - or is it myrrh? It has vetiver' s smokey-ness and a just a hint of licorice-ness....? or is it anise? No - I am sure now, to my nose it has a dottle of myrrh in it creating that distinctive dryness & resin-y-ness.

But as they both mellow and soften I find, I too prefer the egyptian amber and wonder if there is any available anymore....it is everything I love in an amber scent: softness, warmth, a hint of the ancient.... & comforting without being too sweet. That's the good news.

The bad news is: it is no longer avialable, what a surprise....!

For me, trying to locate a good amber that doesn't turn wicked on me has been like a quest for the holy grail....only even more mercurial. It seems the heavens conspire against me ever actually finding one and having it be available!

The very second I finally locate a delicious amber - you can bet on it - my next order will contain this note:

SORRY......all ambers have been...... DISCONTINUED. :D

:P

Edited by fragrantgrasse

The very second I finally locate a delicious amber - you can bet on it - my next order will contain this note:

SORRY......all ambers have been...... DISCONTINUED. :P

Boy, don't I know that painful feeling! I sometimes think I must be the kiss of death to any decent, "right" smelling amber oil! No sooner did I find Black Amber, it gets taken away. I'm absolutely heartbroken. :D

Tegan

Black Amber: This type of Amber is very rich and sweet. This is kind of a masculine amber but a woman could still pull this off. Very nice. :P

I'm not sure what it is about the lab's amber notes, but they almost always turn to a powdery/dusty smell on me.

Egyptian Amber is a smoky, warm, spicy amber with a drydown that goes to pure baby powder on me. It starts off more resinous on me, where Black Amber is dry and sort of a woodsy amber. It's very light on me (lighter than the Egyptian musk)... and, after about five minutes, starts to morph into a dusty note with hints of powder :P

I've had good luck with amber in other perfumes, but the lab's ambers seem to hate my skin chemistry.