Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
ipb

fyi: search engine server change

sometime this month, as soon as i make my graphic into a template and update my website, i am transferring hosting to a new server

what will happen:

- i will upload the database and scripts to the new server [and i'll update the single notes ;p]

- i will make a small change to the script that's uploaded so i know that the one that's being used

- i will update my dns for vanilla.spicybrains.org to the new server

- when the script is being shown on my computer as being the updated one, i will shut down the current server

this should *not* affect anyone, i just wanted you to know that this IS happening

for those that care about the reasoning: i am moving out of my apartment on 5/15, with my clothes, cats, and computers likely leaving the week before. i am moving again sometime between 8/9 and 8/15. since both moves involve change of ip, service would be down during this time - not just the bpal search engine, but my website as well, and we just can't have that!

but more importantly, in my mind: i want a steady email address during my move to new mexico. my school email (which is what everyone contacts me with) will be disappearing in early july, and my new mexico one not starting til mid-august. you can see the problem right off! and a bonus, i'll be getting rid of all the spam mail. and when i say all the spam mail, in the months of february and march, i got approximately 12,000 spam messages on my primary email address. (i use a basyean spam filter, reinforcement learning, and it works fairly well... considering the large training library it had :P)

Good luck with the server move! Those can be a pain in the ass >< If you ever need an email account, I can set one up for you at unladylike.org if you like :P

with changing to my web host, i get unlimited pop email accounts (rather than the more-standard forwards) with spicybrains.org, so email is already taken care of. :P

and if i didn't get it with mine, i have an account at my parents' domain that i could use, but i'd have to figure out how to reset it up (coz it's currently set up to forward to my school email).

but, i liiiiike unladylike! :D cute!

the change is happening today/tomorrow

my account should be created on the new host by close of business today, and my domain shouldn't be transferred until tomorrow, so there shouldn't be any downtime UNLESS the domain transfers before everything's set up with my host.

in the event that happens, i apologize. i wasn't thinking last night when i did them both at once, i should have gotten the web hosting set up and THEN transfer my domain.

damn finals!

ok, the change won't be propogating until my domain transfers.

but my hosting account has been made and the bpal database uploaded and the subdomain created. all that has to happen now is me figuring out how to get the subdomain to *work*. but i must leave for class now, so that shall be later.

aight, subdomain should be working as soon as dns propogates, so it looks like it should be a seamless change-over. i do have to update the search script to reflect hte new database location, but that's not a huge horrible problem and will take like two seconds.

//edited to add: and i gotta give my peeps at totalchoicehosting props, they charge practically nothing (seriously, i'm paying less than $5/mo, and that *includes* my domain registration), and they've got wicked fast response time on answering questions, and they're being VERY patient with my slow brain about setting everything up. and they've set it up so pretty much everything is automagical. and *now* that i have dns working, it should be changed within 48 hours. the file that's up there for the index.php file has a line at the bottom saying it's the new server, so it will be noticeable.

Edited by quantum spice

ugh, dns propogated and now the database is having issues connecting... i'll give it another half hour, but if i can't get it tonight, it'll be down for a day

....that was a painfully stupid problem, but thankfully easy to fix....

Sign in to follow this