Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

13-year aged red patchouli, Damascus rose resin tar, blackcurrant syrup, Egyptian myrrh, and crimson musk seed.

I've been hanging out with Garnet for just a short while now. Directly out of the mail, I dabbed a bit on and could have sworn I was smelling some Snake Oil - the patchouli was forward and playing with the musk in a very familiar way. The next day, however, there were no sneaky snakes. The crimson musk seed reads like red musk on first application, which is to say, it's not shy about announcing itself, but somehow it doesn't wear the same as red musk usually does for me as it dries. Today, the third day, it's almost like a red musk playing dress up as a black musk, aided and abetted by the gorgeous myrrh.    

I know the analogy to the stone itself is an easy one, but I haven't found that it applies to all the other similarly inspired HM scents equally. It does here: I get different shifting glints of notes coming through the impossibly deep dark red. The myrrh and musk stand out nicely over the rich patchouli backdrop, and I definitely do not get a floral rose, but if you lean in close to it you can pick up the remains of a rose alongside the blackcurrant, and the faintest breath of sweetness.

As of now it's a subtle but slinky resinous scent and I like it a lot. If I get anything much different from it in the coming months I'll try to remember to update!