Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
doomsday_disco

Jugendstil: Fall 1896

A billowing gown of sandalwood chiffon, pale grass notes, green chypre, ti leaf, sweet oakmoss, shimmering white musk, moss, bourbon vanilla, and green amber.

(this is my first review & i apologize for any formatting mistakes!)

from the bottle, this smells oddly like a red musk to me & is way less chlorophyll green than i was anticipating.

on the skin i get a powdery & tart chypre along with something indolic, which i’m guessing is an unlisted jasmine note. the scent smooths out into a deep emerald green backdrop with subtle sheerer & sweeter elements above- the silky jasmine-esque note & aldehydic white musk. it’s quite abstract but does call to mind the deep greens & heavy contours filled with cream in the accompanying art.

with wear, the vanilla is more evident & the scent hugs a lot closer to the skin. this is not a fresh cut grass scent, it’s not realistically vegetal at all to my nose. it’s creeping, dark green & fantastical moss crowned with sheer vanilla, a few subtle sparkles of sweet white musk, & a very slight hint of indolic florals.

it takes a while before i can find the sandalwood & once it appears it gradually overtakes the other notes, taking the scent in a warmer, woodier direction but retaining an ethereal, fantasy quality that is quite beautiful.

This doesn't say that it contains green musk, but I am getting some strong green musk from this, along with some amber (maybe there's some green musk in the green amber or the chypre)? Anyways, aside from those notes, this is really well-blended, and it's hard to pick out a lot of the notes individually. But the green musk and amber combo remind me strongly of 51 and Pollution throughout wear, while I believe the shimmering white musk and bourbon vanilla notes, as well as a secret note from the chypre, might be contributing to the sparkly mainstream perfume vibes that I get from this scent. I'm reminded of scents like Ava and Tomie (although the vanilla is not distinct on me, it's giving me the strong sparkly floral musk vibes that I get from those scents). It's really a shame that this was a Century Guild exclusive, as I think this would have been popular if it were more accessible!

Jugendstil: Fall 1896 has hella throw and never stops reminding me of those scents throughout wear. I'm currently 8 hours in, and it's still going strong. Now that the green musk isn't as loud, I can smell the moss, ti leaf, a bit of grass, and sandalwood in this with the glimmering floral amber musk. I'd say if you're wanting a scent that smells expensive and green, this would be up your alley... although I don't foresee many people parting with this one.

ETA: I actually did get the vanilla a few hours after posting this, after doing a lot of cleaning. Huzzah!

Edited by doomsday_disco