Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
shriekingviolet

Upcoming Major Forum Downtime

Hey ladies & gents!

This is just a heads up to let everyone know that the boards are going to be down for at least a day or two sometime next week. The board will be moved to a new location, and unfortunately because it's so big, it's going to take a lot of time and effort on my part to transfer the database to insure that everyone's posts, records, etc. are kept in tact. For those who remember the first move last February, it took at least 8-9 hours for me to bring the boards over, and now the database in many times that size. Also, once we go back up, the forum will be at a new location: bpal.org!

But the move is a very good (and very necessary) as I got a killer deal on a hosting package ('twas a sale I couldn't refuse given the way you guys drive up bandwidth costs) that will allow me to worry much less about our bandwidth usage. Plus the new host is a bigger company who can offer faster support, so I'll be better able to fix problems that aren't script related (like the one we had with our email server that causes the email notification problems recently) in a more timely manner.

I'm not sure exactly what day next week the forum will go down as I'm not sure what my work schedule will be, but I'll let you know in this thread as soon as I figure it out. I'm planning on it being midweek, so possibly Tuesday. And I'll be keeping a progress log somewhere (I'll post the url on the bpal community LJ), to keep everyone informed on where we are and how much longer it might take.

In the meantime, might I suggest figuring out IRC if you haven't already? The BPAL chat channel seems to get a lot of activity during downtime. :P

Sign in to follow this